April 26, 2024, 02:27:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sarcoptic mange  (Read 1385 times)
RossHoskins
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2013, 07:43:14 pm »

Not sure if I spelled it right... But I have a pit pup about ten weeks old now, took him to the vet and she scraped him and she says he has this kind of mange. Does anyone have a special remedy ? He is getting a shot every week for the next 6 weeks I'm not sure what it is but I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything that works well..
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 08:34:27 pm »

If like to know too. I have a male blue that has it too. It doesn't bother him just  bad.looks

Hell Hounds are loose!
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:49:37 pm »

I have always used sulpher and burnt motor oil for mange.
There is no cure for red mange it is hereditary it will keep coming back and it is common in bulldogs

Lets go we burning daylight
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:53:38 pm »

oh yea, keep you other dogs away it is highly contagious if its not red mange

halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:57:26 pm »

I would ask the vet what he was giving my dog !!   they use ivomect to treat sarcoptic mange and maybe some steroid shots as well  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 06:05:06 am »

Sarcoptic mites are an environmental problem and not a genetic problem like with demodectic mites (aka Red Mange). With that being said
you need to treat all your dogs and kennels and surrounding areas as Sarcoptic mange is contagious. I had a problem with it a few years back and I had good success with a product called Prolate Lintox. You can get it at Tractor Supply or some feed stores. The active ingredient in it is Phosmet. You mix 1 oz. of Prolate Lintox to 1 gal. of water. Soak skin of dog by means of dipping,spraying,sponge, rag, etc.  This is way cheaper than the proscribed dips from the Vet and just as effective.   

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
Jaredmiko
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:30:35 am »

There is no cure for red mange it is hereditary it will keep coming back and it is common in bulldogs

Red mange isn't contagious to other dogs?
Irondog87
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:39:34 am »

is this the right stuff jimco?? I'm ordering mine today because my bulldog has the same symptoms as was said earlier.

!YELLA PRIDE!
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 08:45:02 am »

Happy jack makes some stuff in a bottle. It's mange something but it has worked for my buddy.

Hell Hounds are loose!
Jaredmiko
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:46:13 am »

Didnt read all the way on jimcos response! Sorry
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 09:00:47 am »

is this the right stuff jimco?? I'm ordering mine today because my bulldog has the same symptoms as was said earlier.

That's it... when you treat dogs make sure you wipe down their faces and ears good. Try and treat every inch of the dog. Also spray
kennels, dog houses etc.    Treat them once a week for about 3 weeks.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
RossHoskins
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

Bought mine at producers today for 20 bucks thanks for the info hope it helps
Irondog87
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »

Yeh! Thanks for the help jimco. I think it's just what I need for my cd. Plus I can mix up enough to do all my dogs and their kennels plus their houses!

!YELLA PRIDE!
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 06:23:56 pm »

Yeh! Thanks for the help jimco. I think it's just what I need for my cd. Plus I can mix up enough to do all my dogs and their kennels plus their houses!

It's gonna take a while. It's not gonna be a quick thing. It will kill the mites on the skin but not the ones buried under the skin. Thats
why it takes several treatments. As the mites hatch and comes to the surface this product will kill them.  IF this stuff doesn't work
then it's not mites or insect related problem your dealing with. Once you get the mite problem under control get a tube of
Nu Stock and treat the hairless spots. Nu-Stock will get the hair growing back.  I only had to deal with sarcoptic mange once but
it sure was a pain in the arse. 

hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 08:37:17 pm »

Red mange isn't contagious to other dogs?
didn't say it was contagious.

JHicks
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 12:57:25 pm »

Ivermec the fool out of them if its sarcoptic. now for red mange honestly not worth the fight to fix it in my book. it is contageous some how, not supose to be but i had a litter come down with it at about 4 months old. there were 3 other pups around the same age in the kennel with those pups and they came down with it a few weeks later. None of them were even the same blood line/breed. Even sent skin scrapings off to UGA and it was demodex mange vets couldnt tell me why all those pups got it?? Now i culled the litter that it started with but the other 3 who only showed small signs of it are doing fine now. 
dogboy42
Bay Dog

AB with out the bs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 09:18:52 pm »

Ivomec kill mange mite!

DogBoy....you are never too old to learn
Irondog87
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »

Ivomec kill mange mite!
I been using ivomec and the Spray mix. Two weeks down and my dog is looking alot better!! Got it from a buddys dog. Let him borrow him for a hunt. Never again!!!

!YELLA PRIDE!
Crossstock
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »

Just got threw giving my bulldog brucella abortus for three weeks just a 1/4 cc once daily in the mouth... He is 110 percent know.... But my strike dog is showing signs of hair lose... Looks like he will go to the vet know...
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 11:27:20 am »

Ahhhh....Sarcoptic aka Scabies. I hate that kind of mange. It is contagious to other dogs, and it is also contagious to humans, but the mites do not survive on humans for long like they would on a dog or cat. I'd wear gloves anyway when handling him/her. Mitaban dip has always worked wonders I know.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: