April 25, 2024, 02:02:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cow dogs first hog hunt  (Read 734 times)
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:11 pm »

Took two of my cow dogs on their first hog hunt this afternoon. Hauled them to a big thicket and dressed them up in brand new vests and collars from Tejas. They sat their and stared at me for a few minutes like I was an idiot. I wasn't sure what would happen because there was 100 hd of cows right next to us. They started sniffing around and then took off. Few minutes went by then I heard squealing. I caught up to them 300 yards in the thicket and they each had a boar short caught. Not impressive hogs but it was an impressive hunt. my gyp is 6 and my dog is 2 and being there first hogs they acted like old pros.

Master Gator
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:05 pm »

nice looking dogs.
Bonnie_Clyde
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:51:56 pm »

That's awesome, and really good looking dogs. Man, your heart must of really charged up after that.
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:11:47 pm »

Thanks y'all, yes I really enjoyed that. It was funny watching them at first, they didn't know what to think of the vests and collars. Hopefully next time they can find some a little bigger to play with and test their skills.

Master Gator
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:14:39 pm »

Congrats on their first hunt. A man can't ask for any more.

Shotgun
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:39:17 pm »

ha ha your lucky they even hunted at all . I remember the first time I tried to run a vest on my old Catahoula male he walked off a few feet and just fell over   loll  . I finally gave up on running vest on them they just didn't perform as well with them on  .  good looking dogs  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Irondog87
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 10:56:11 pm »

Hell a hog is a hog!! Those dogs did great in my opinion!! And you went to the best place around for a vest! All I run on my dogs is gear from tejas, and never had a pass through on my catch vest. I have some buddies that run tejas bay vests on the cd because they are lite weight and still real tough. I just prefer the catch vest because my cd is worth alot to me and I want him protected best as possible.

!YELLA PRIDE!
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:17:34 am »

Good deal Rooster.  Thats great for the first time hog hunting.  Boy they all got them distinct looks dont they.  I sure like mine .  Nice dogs .

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 11:59:18 am »

What kept them from goin to the cows?
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 12:06:46 pm »

I have a good handle on them and they only bay cows when I send them. But wasn't sure what would happen. I guess me being on foot and not horseback helped

Master Gator
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:14:07 pm »

You must have a real good handle cool deal on the hogs. Had they ever seen hogs?
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 01:38:20 pm »

They've seen my wife's pet sow through the fence but that's it. First time seeing them in woods

Master Gator
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: