March 28, 2024, 02:58:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: black and tan hounds?  (Read 998 times)
texun 11
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2013, 02:10:04 pm »

Who uses them? How well are they on hogs? Are they easy to trash break? ive never owned any and i have always wondered.!!!?
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:36:06 pm »

ought to be just like any other hound.

I got blueticks and cat's. They have there strong points and their weak spots. Just like any other breeds. Suppose its mainly how you train them. You feed a decent dog enough tracks sooner or later they'll mess up an make a dog.

Dont suppose a black an Tan be any differnet.
bscurdogs
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:55:34 pm »

I got two males put them on coons at first then hogs and now that's all they run they never looked at a deer when hunting their pretty smart and all I had to do was show them one pig let them bay it and let it go and they trailed it stopped it and bayed and caught when I got there was easiest training I've ever done
texun 11
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:42:31 pm »

ok cool! thanks for the input. any other advice would be great!
TChunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:26:10 am »

I LOVE my black and tan...She was started on coons and given to me because she would always trash on hogs while coon hunting lol now she does not trash what so ever and is a loooong range dog...she GOES. If we want to try to keep the hunt short and not be out all day/night we dont take her lol she is my best dog I have and throws good pups. you thinking about getting one? ive been looking for a male.
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 08:14:13 pm »

Best tree dog I ever owned was a registered Black&Tan. Last year at the Abbeville Wild Hog festival baying, the dog that impressed me the most was a Black & Tan.

It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:58:32 am »

Ive owned a couple great blk tans. Like everything else just do your homework. There are some big differences in certain lines. If I was gonna hog hunt it I would look for a line thats leaner built, and grittier. Jmo