April 19, 2024, 02:44:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bay pens  (Read 589 times)
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:04:06 am »

I'm thinking about using my papered hounds in bay pens instead of the woods. They bay hard for being hounds and they cost me a lot of money. Is it selfish to keep them out of the woods? I'm planning on breeding them and don't want to lose one in the woods.

Hell Hounds are loose!
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:13:28 am »

They are your dogs. What do you want to do with them ?  Are you new to Bay pen competitions?

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:15:28 am »

They're your dogs...you can do what you want...don't feel pressured by anyone else.

Some will say don't breed them just because of papers...only breed once they prove themselves. Never know what may happen in the woods.

If your breeding for yourself/friends your fine in my book. Pups may turn out...may not. If you did decide to list them...just be honest about what they are and you shouldn't  have any issues.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:44:38 am »

I've never done bay pen competitions but figured id use these dogs. One cause I'll be out a lot of money if something happens to them in the woods. They are silent in the woods and do good stopping runners. I have one gyp and 2 males and one is her littermate. I'm going to breed the gyp to see if the pups turn out silent. I figured I could get  out of them and use them in the woods. I don't want them just sitting around wasting away. They would go crazy!

Hell Hounds are loose!
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:48:57 am »

well what kind of  [ papered hounds  ] you got ?   and their is a lot of things to do with them besides hog hunt . do you have hounds capable of treeing coons and cats ?  break them off of hogs it isn't hard to do .  there is a whole world of things to do with a dog besides ruining them on hogs . big ol boar coon or a family of young coon tear up as much corn as a hog  lol .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:04:01 am »

Redbones. I use to own the sister to my two younger dogs and coon hunted her but she wasn't trash broke off hogs. She struck pigs one night and never treed another coon.

Hell Hounds are loose!
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:15:07 am »

Hunting dogs that are too valuable to hunt? Never have i heard such a thing. Ive had coons drown some down right bad to the bone hounds before, thats all part of hunting.

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:21 am »

I'm wanting to get into bay pen comps and the rest of my dogs are suicidal so they are really the only choice I have. I've already seen them starting to get more gritty running  my cur and cat.with

Hell Hounds are loose!
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:39:35 am »

ive never been to a bay competion, do the hogs they use not have cutters? I dont see the difference in realitive danger in the woods or a pen for a dog.

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 10:55:36 am »

ive never been to a bay competion, do the hogs they use not have cutters? I dont see the difference in realitive danger in the woods or a pen for a dog.

No cutters

txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 11:05:37 am »

No cutters

THey have cutters just blunted!  BIg Ben there is a big diff...  The hogs in pens have been bayed mutliable times and tend to stand in one position.  One reason i don't do bays..  The few ive been to werent anything i wanted to do! 

To the post..  Good luck baying those hounds! 

Proud TDHA Member!
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 11:49:36 am »

Lol....no cutters...blunted cutters...same difference...All Boars have cutters...some just bigger than others.

As far as standing Boars...every pen USUALLY has a few set up hogs...but they usually also have rank hogs. Just depends on the pen....the better pens have big hogs that will make the dogs work some.

BIG CHRIS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 11:57:24 am »

I run my woods dogs in the pen atleast once a month. It doesn't affect there hunt at all. And not all hogs in a bay pen comp are set up hogs either. My common problem with the pen is my dogs like to catch out. If you think your dog has what it takes run them! I think a lot of dogs just lacks what it takes to compete in the bay pens.

Dogs hit the ground noses down! That's how we roll...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: