April 24, 2024, 11:32:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English pointer  (Read 944 times)
ROCKIN-B-HOG DOGS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:27:38 pm »

Has any body ever had one for a strike dog if so how did they work I have a reg male 11 weeks old I'm gona try out and see what happens but I turn him out and he will point birds in the yard lol thanks

ROCKIN-B-HOG DOGS
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:40:47 pm »

From what I have seen pointers are brush buster hunting fools. The ones I have seen lack bottom even when crossed. Also pretty gritty

Lets go we burning daylight
dane
Strike Dog

Rocking DO Kennels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:18:35 am »

Hunted one for a friend and was making a pretty good hand. He was a little slower to catch on than I liked but was getting it for sure. Then he had bad encounter with a dog fight and did not make it.  But I am actually looking for a gyp now if anyone mows where one is?
fldoggin74
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:24:02 am »

My main dog, 3/4 english pointer 1/4 bull dog. Will put down 10 miles on the tracker in no time and not even break a sweat, has a good nose on her winds off box and will take a track. The only thing is she will bay even a 2 day old piglett....and if there is no action she does point birds just like your saying.
ROCKIN-B-HOG DOGS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:05:16 pm »

Thanks for the input I'm gona try him and see what he does

ROCKIN-B-HOG DOGS
dane
Strike Dog

Rocking DO Kennels

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »

Of doesn't work out let me know
ROCKIN-B-HOG DOGS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 07:22:28 pm »

Ok I will if he doesn't work he will be for sale

ROCKIN-B-HOG DOGS
CENTEX FINDER/HOLDERS
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 12:07:47 pm »

ROCKIN-B I have one I rescued at 9mos, did some pen/catch work with him and he struck and cought on his first hunt. It was a pretty mean 140lb sow full of piglets. Needless to say I was pretty happy with him. hes about 18mons now and has struck about 20 hogs. He'll average 200-600 yrd circles and does get out to 9+ sometimes. My interest in him was for breeding more nose but hes just not hard enough for me. Unless I have a hard dog with him he'll bay on the big stuff, but he has an unquestionably good nose and very busy. I need to make room for some up and comers so hes for sale if anybodies interested just PM me.
Hog Dog Mike
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 01:28:39 pm »

I have raised, trained, and judged a bunch of pointers in my life. They are not all created equal. The all age dogs are just tougher than the others and can hang with any dog when it comes to making tracks.

My hunting partner had one that we used for 2 or 3 years and he did a pretty good job. He was gritty and got cut up alot. I think that the fact he was white and a little lemon helped the hogs see him better. Finally wound up getting killed by a hog.
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 02:33:50 pm »

had one, posted some pics on here when I did, she would strike and bay good but was high strung and nervous all the time. my plan was to cross her over a leggy pit, but just never got around to it

Specializing in hard to find cold nosed armadillo dogs.
Osage County,Oklahoma
http://www.ok-federation-of-coonhunters.webs.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: