April 18, 2024, 07:57:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rough night! Help needed.  (Read 1960 times)
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 10:11:47 pm »

you must not be from texas redline   . that was the dumbest thing the state ever did was to take the vaccine out of the hands of the public  . so now folks that would do their dogs every year don't , just to keep from paying the vet .  my dogs are all do now and I am gonna have a couple done at the vet for the paper work I need to show or compete with them  . the rest I guess i'll have to make a trip to Louisiana or Oklahoma to buy enough for the rest of them  . the state doesn't recognize any given outside a vet's office , and I don't really care as long as  I  know they've been done ..  they have a 3 year shot and the state doesn't recognize it after a year either ..  but according to all my research the regular [ what they call ] a 0ne year shot has an effective residual of 3 to 5 years  . just another way to make a buck off the pet industry  .

Hell they just recently pulled rabies vax from the shelves here in Louisiana too! We found another way though....PM me if you're interested.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 10:22:44 pm »

Hey, just an update guys. Just as matt said, The folks at the health department called me and it was indeed rabid. My vet called me as well, and somewhat recommended I cautiously loaded the bitch and her pups up and brought them in to be put down. I made plans to get her to town, when i got the call from the rabies lab in Austin. And they had a different take on it, he recommended I let the pups go, and work on getting cuatro cured. Apperently the protocol on this without a pre-vaccination is Immediate vaccination, hit them agin at 3 weeks, and agin at 8 weeks. 100% confinement for 90 days, more or less put the dog in the closet, and feed it under the door, if she beats it she will be alive in 90 days, if she starts showing the least bit of sign, we put her down at that point. He very much advised it and said the odds of it not being beat are very slim. So that's the route we took, I had all the pups euthanized and we plywooded up her pen. Who knows if she is even Infected, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. He assured me there was a risk, but it can be controlled. Chance I'm willing to take for my favorite Yella dog! I sure appreciate everybody's response's! Too bad the pups didnt have a chance to hunt, but there hopefully will be more.
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 10:26:23 pm »

Dang, that's sum bad luck. Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the gyp.
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 10:38:14 pm »

For some reason, like a lot of people, I have never done my homework on rabies. I mean how many peopl do you know honestly saying, my dog got rabies? I mean it's a lot less common than parvovirus distemper etc, I am having the vet come out Monday to hit every one of my dogs. Rabies is nothing to play with, it will kill humans just as fast as animals, if not controlled properly. When you keep an animal that has been in contact with another rabid animal, it's a pretty intense undertaking. I have talked to the county sheriff, county animal control, state health, and numerouse other animal control officers, and have the approval of everyone, but am expecting the animal health officers to come out and inspect the facility's and make sure she is kept under confinement. VACCINATE YOUR DOGS! I garentee you your lead dog is worth more than the fee for the vaccination. That's just the cost of doing buisness.
AW
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 10:40:36 pm »

Hate to hear it same thing happened to me 10 years ago it was a male dog and the skunk climbed into the kennel with him and he killed it. The skunk tested positive and I put him down I had two young daughters and decided not to try the 90 day deal.
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 11:54:42 pm »

With that being said AW, I very much feel the same way. No dog is worth a human life. So, what would YALL do??? Everybodys opinions appreciated. Kill the dog? or let her hunt on? Im honestly pleased with the way this gyp is coming along, she has filled the spot of my last decent dog, with flying colors. None of her bad habits are not easily corrected by stern voice, and shes a blondie lol. What are YOU thinking? Take the chance? Let her go? Any one ever had on get bit and pull thru?
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 12:42:37 am »

I'd risk it
josh54
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:41 am »

Damn we had high hopes for those quarto bones pups i was already cleaning outa spot. I gotta get done outta old bones before he goes. He has sure earned his spot with me. I say give her a shot...not just for selfish reasons Evil

hog doggin is not a sport....its a way of life!!!!
josh54
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 01:08:05 am »

Well Ethan that's one way to get her weaned and dried up quicker so you can hunt her. I'm on to you now haha. But for real if she pulls through we gotta gave some more "ugly" pups. Even if i have to sneak old bones in there haha

hog doggin is not a sport....its a way of life!!!!
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 01:36:37 am »

I'm glad you took the skunk to get tested knowing me I'd have thought nothing of it and would have caused an epidemic. Now I'll know to take it serious if somethin ever happens
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 05:57:12 am »

If she's your best I'd risk it. Just be cautious and make sure your liking her doesn't keep you from picking up on any signs and also make sure you can handle the full 90days without letting her out cause u feel bad for her being cooped up its probably gonna be difficult on the both of you

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 10:16:01 am »

If she's your best I'd risk it. Just be cautious and make sure your liking her doesn't keep you from picking up on any signs and also make sure you can handle the full 90days without letting her out cause u feel bad for her being cooped up its probably gonna be difficult on the both of you

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

X2   Is this an isolated or should I say rare incident around your neck of the woods or is rabies pretty common? just curious.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 11:20:43 am »

it's that time of year . I just saw on the news this morning of one being found in the dfw metroplex area . around Arlington I think I don't pay a lot of attention to the news anymore outside of the weather  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
AW
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 12:50:41 pm »

I just weighed the risk against the reward and made my decision.
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 08:03:09 pm »

I just weighed the risk against the reward and made my decision.

What'd u decide?
Trey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 09:23:28 pm »

I had something similar happen with a rabid skunk, put down 4 grown dogs believe it was, one was wife's pomeranian house dog,  was to risky for us to quarantine them, and had to get rabies shots my self along with my sons and my 3 nephews and a brother in law, needless to say every dog here has a current rabies vaccination now and if you bring a dog here for training it has to come with one also. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: