March 29, 2024, 04:09:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Leopard Hound  (Read 2445 times)
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:10:12 pm »

I am just wondering if anybody is running hogs with them.  What line? How do they work for you?
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:23:21 pm »

I"ll start......

Duke, he is 3/4 Mcdill 1/4 Mcduffie. He's been scent driven since 6 weeks old, and will flat go hunting, turned a year today. He started treeing squirels at the house @ 5 month alone. Started going to woods @ bout eight months and went step for step with any dog there. He's found a few on his own and likes carrying the littles back to the truck lol.

I like working with driven young dogs.
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:20 pm »

I've got one and she's a good dog out of cain and patches , but she is not gonna be on hogs . she's my new coon and squirrel dog .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:37:06 pm »

Had some years back, good tree dogs but they would quit a tough track and come back if the scent went cold long enough, The last one I had came from a cat hunter and that's why I got the dog it would drop out on him if the track got bad. Not sure there all that way or just those we had. Thet would however throw there head and wind good, that was a plus

Specializing in hard to find cold nosed armadillo dogs.
Osage County,Oklahoma
http://www.ok-federation-of-coonhunters.webs.com/
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:54:54 pm »

Mr Whitten, she is lookin good. I wish I could find a female bred like that Cain was. Might work well under this male down the road a bit.

Waylon, I haven't heard of any quiting cause it got tough, heard of alot running head in the air on tracks others couldn't smell. What line of dogs did you mess with??
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:10:44 pm »

I don't remember there breeding. I trained a few for Veryl Keeter, who was at the time a game warden commish. This was 1998 or 99, to long ago to remember. The one Clyde Lawson game me a few years back went to wicks camo jug dog, good tree dog, but just wouldn't stay with hounds on a bad track. like I said maybe they all aren't like that, I'm can see more hound blood has been added to them by there looks now days anyway

Osage County,Oklahoma
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:14:19 pm »

As for them running heads up on tracks other dogs can't smell. maybe on a hot nosed hound, but there not any colder nosed than a average hound to me, just better at winding from there cur blood. They can say what they will but veryl brother was one of the hand full of men that discovered them and there basiclly a cur hound cross. I'd go as far as to say catahoula x hound, but that depends on who you ask. The dog I trained placed 2nd in the little world hunt back then

Osage County,Oklahoma
mike rogers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:03:32 pm »

I like the older stuff Corey.  Ramrod and Bubby only had a shot each of Jug in them. I can trace their bloodlines to the 60's. They don't have near the amount McDuffie, but they do have  Matt Dillon in there a bunch.  I really wanna put a little more hair in my line and shorten up the ear. While keeping the brains, nose and grit.  This last litter out of Bubby and Rod has left me scratching my head even more (in a good way) As pups I'm really seeing several different looks and personality. The most common thing that all of them have is the extra flappy skin under the chin and on the neck. Some have more, but all have a lot. LOL. It's also funny how one female has shorter cur ears, but more houndy face and a lot of skin under her neck.  One female has a lot of ear, but a bigger cur looking head with a shorter muzzle like a lot curs. My two males that I'm keeping are going to look so much different or I think they will. Same size, but Handsome Jack will have more ear and longer hair, while Comanche Joe will look just like Ramrod.  It's really amazing watching these pups grow.  They have so much of both Ramrod and Bubby in them. I hope I got Rod's drive and natural ability and Bubby's brains and nose.... if so...  BINGO....
kerreydw
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:32:31 pm »

picked up 2 nice pups from david perkins in south texas, ended up giving the male back to david, really a nice looking dog gonna be about a 60 lb dog david said he was making a nice hog dog med range dog will really bay hard we think he will range out better when he reachs maturity hes not 1 year old yet. the female looks like MR.WHITTENS dog real loose baying bitch and she is already traveling with my 2and4 year old yello curs seems to have lots of endurance. third hunt she was at the bay making a hand. shes coming in heat at this moment going to pass her up and let her hunt to c if she is going to be as good as i think she is. thanks david so far so good.
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:14:36 pm »

Mike, its good to hear those pups are coming along, I know what you mean about inconsistentcy throughout a litter. I hope they turn out and give you a couple to continue to build around.  I have one headed this way from the west coast providing everything works out.

Kerrydw,  is Mr Perkins a breeder down there, what line is he working with, what kind of mouth are they giving on the ground?
Yeller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 09:08:25 am »

The ones I've seen will  find and bay and run the hide off a hog! Curd walker has some real nice ALH's that if I wanted all open dogs that are fast on track ... thats what I'd be leanin towards . He's got a pen full of about 5- 6 month pups now mostly leopard saddle backs and a couple brindle legged ...

Game Bred Texas Raised!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: