March 29, 2024, 03:18:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ? About dog grit and bottom  (Read 870 times)
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:12:31 pm »

I have 2 year old dog that hasn't been hunted much. Got him on a group of hogs few weeks back. Him and two other dogs tried catching either a boar or big sow and lost it. The male in question took two cuts. One in his armpit that required a vet to sew it up and another cut on the opposite leg about 5" long. He left out on a little pig and ran it for about 800 yards and killed it. Am I wrong in thinking that what he did was pretty good ?
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 06:26:48 pm »

Sounds like he is starting fine. To test his bottom its gonna take a lot farther than 800 yards. The fact that he was getting in there close enough to get cut implies gritt but after a few more runs u will know for sure. Like I said sounds like he's doing fine.

Shotgun
monster
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »

Sounds like you got a good dog. Sounds like he did pretty good for not beeing hunted much...had he ever rolled out 800 yrds or more and was he on his own

"Only the strong survive"
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:38:47 pm »

Never been than far before period. His first find also. I think I should have asked about grit and drive instead of bottom.
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:38:57 pm »

Keep putting him in sign whenever u can. He sounds like he's gonna work. All of the gritt drive bottom questions will answer themselves. How many times have u had him out and were they all by himself?

Shotgun
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »

I'd be pleased with him buddylee if he were mine.

It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:30:47 am »

Keep feedin him tracks. Sounds good to me, im with firemedic I'd sure be pleeased.

Disappointed tho that him an 2 other dogs couldnt hold a big hog till i got there.
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 07:29:57 am »

He's been huntin less than a dozen times. A buddy of mine has been huntin him so I really don't know exactly how many trip.
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 06:27:17 pm »

Less than a dozen times. Sounds like he is doing everything I could ask for. He should keep getting better with each hunt but get ready u gonna take him one day and he is gonna lay up on ya. Lol they all do it at some point and my luck its when I want them to perform the most. They can't do it when nobody is watching.

Good hunting to ya and keep feeding him tracks.

Shotgun
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:27:30 pm »

Whats the reason other 2 dogs couldnt hold? Just curious Cheesy
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 06:48:23 pm »

No idea. All are very rough.
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:22:44 pm »

After only 12 hunts he may have not learned how to catch correctly yet. The others may have not wanted to catch one that big. This could also be why he got cut. I know I have seen plenty that would catch a 150 hog no problem but 200+ is another critter and they would be hesitant.

Shotgun
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:02:13 pm »

That musta been a good un. You said you in Ga, So thats what i like to hear, maybe he ran south lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: