March 28, 2024, 10:19:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Mouth dogs?  (Read 1137 times)
Bonnie_Clyde
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:14:55 am »

How well does a Ben Jordan bread dog work in the woods? I hear there more for cattle not hogs, would like some feedback on his line of dogs/pups.
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:08:35 pm »

Probably not going to be many people that respond, because very few dogs leave Ben's yard.  I've had the opportunity (even very recently) to hunt behind some, and I would feed the ones that I saw.  

The difference between these and what most people consider cow dogs is their hunt.  When you run free range cattle on 80,000 acres, having dogs that will find them is much different than what people around here call cow dogs that they take out and sight drop on cattle in a pasture to drive them.  Two very different animals.

http://www.easttexashogdoggers.com/forum/index.php?topic=43323.msg312096#msg312096

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:15:52 pm by Bryant » Logged

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:09:31 pm »

Probably depends on the dog more than the line.

check this oute

http://www.easttexashogdoggers.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:12:07 pm »

check this oute

http://www.easttexashogdoggers.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0

That didn't work! lmao
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 12:16:24 pm »

When you tightly breed, PROVE, and cull through that many dogs for so many years to refine the desired traits and then keep the line pretty tightly held I tend to disagree.  Some will be better than others and there will be culls, but all in all I would imagine Ben (and those breeding and using the same dogs) pretty well know what to expect when pups hit the ground.

It's when you start mass-producing unproven dogs that a so-called "bloodline" will loose all consistancy.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 07:45:58 am »

When you tightly breed, PROVE, and cull through that many dogs for so many years to refine the desired traits and then keep the line pretty tightly held I tend to disagree.  Some will be better than others and there will be culls, but all in all I would imagine Ben (and those breeding and using the same dogs) pretty well know what to expect when pups hit the ground.

It's when you start mass-producing unproven dogs that a so-called "bloodline" will loose all consistancy.

I was just trying to post the link to "Ben Jordan"  search....obviously my posting skills are right down there with my opinion of how good dogs come about.  Wink 

Ya really want to know about Ben Jordans dogs.....get ahold of Ben Jordan....bet he could tell ya bout them.
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:11:10 pm »

They find, bay, and stay with style Smiley

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
Txmason
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 04:19:19 pm »

I have some and worked a few for other people and most all have made outstanding dogs. 

Douglas Mason
979-733-0578
www.txmasoncatahoulas.com
www.tdha.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: