March 28, 2024, 12:55:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hood Dogs - Training  (Read 782 times)
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:01:38 am »

Never owned or tried to train a hood dog. Always just walk hunted. In a position now where I'm doing quite a bit of roading and will be doing some hood hunting when the weather gets hot.

I know the same dogs I hunt while roading or walking I can use while hood hunting....just turn them out to the Hood dog when he strikes. But...I've got a litter coming so I figure ill find out which pup has the best nose and give it a shot.

My plan was to do my same basic training for the first few weeks ....then start doing drags with some shoats but keep the pup on the hood as opposed to walking....stop at the drag point and unsnap the pup and let it roll. I would do that a few times...but ..by the time the pup is 4-5 months...start taking it out and just snap it to the top of the dog box. When I think it's ready....8-10 months probably....start releasing it when the good dog bails. Then...finally...after a few successful hunts...start letting it ride on the hood/box/tailgate free.

That's my plan....good dog guys...an easier way?

"Let's talk some philosophy"
J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:51:45 pm »

Thats what I do. I leave mine in the box till they really start going to the bay hard and fast and then I will start running him on the hood. It also helps cut down on a lot of trashing til they learn what they are really up on the hood for.
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:34:10 pm »

kevin get the dog striking hogs on the ground first, then teach it to ride and come off, after all that is done then worry about striking off the hood, let a 4 or 5 mnth old pup be a puppy , i start mine after a yr, when they quit acting so play full

Monty Bennet
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 08:10:09 pm »

I don't hunt em off the good but I hunt em off the back. Mr. Bennett is right

Smiling like a killer
barlow
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:11:49 pm »

when i was bear hunting i always used a rig dog on the hood of my truck/jeep. what i learned was that i didn't need the most cold nosed dog up there, i needed the most vocal. what you're hoping for them to react to is wind scent, not a cold trail. i always wanted the dog that was quickest to react to scent by barking. from there you can refine his actions. and you gotta be careful about getting on them when young. if you're too hard on em for unnecessary barking you can accidentally train em to shut up altogether.

Prey and Bay Dogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: