April 18, 2024, 10:13:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swamp Dog Catch Vest?  (Read 4287 times)
creynolds
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:45:46 pm »

My catch dog or dogs have to be able to walk beside the horse the whole hunt and generally take off at first strike so I have always run real light weight vests. I have been using the Ugly dog bikini vest and it works well enough as long as the hog his one of the plates but there are big areas the connect the chest and side plates that are not protective at all. So I have a bigger RCD now and decided to give Swamp Dog cut gear a shot at it and their bikini vest, which got here today. Looks great and fits about as well as an Ugly dog vest but seems REAL thin.

I’m not shooting it down yet as if I wanted a bulky leash in catch vest I would have gotten one of them Hardcore, PnP, Titan etc type vest that had more armor than my ballistic vest back in the Army. Them things would kill my dog in the Louisiana Swamp/ Rivers way faster than any hog.

I have searched the forum and can’t find much reviews on them. Has anyone run one for a season? Seems like it would do glancing blows great and my current RCD wouldn’t even know he was wearing it but feel like there might be some issues with a direct blow to the chest. Feels like a bay vest…
mailman
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:05:37 pm »

I recently bought the super suit, but haven't had it tested yet.  It's light, and does feel thin.  But I can tell you that I have a brass name tag I was going to snap onto it. I took it to a boot repair place and the leather punch tool wouldn't penetrate the inner or outer layer at all.  I ended up having to put a hole in it with a hammer and 16d penny nail with a 2x4 backing.  LOL  I think it's tougher than it feels.  My dog runs with it like there's nothing on him.  But again, it hasn't been tested with good cutters yet, so the verdict is still out.
creynolds
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:13:34 pm »

Yea I'm not shooting it down yet either. It feels like it could take some punishment and ANY vest can get cut through with time… just seems too good to be true.

Does your super suit have any extra in the chest? My bikini vest feels like it has some extra in the collar but from there down it uniform thickness. I think the vest is made up of two layers of one material and one layer of extra thick correctional kevlar. Don’t quote me on that… might be three layers of correctional kevlar.
creynolds
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:14:35 pm »

went out and took some pics...

Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:02:01 pm »

This is Kane in his full bay swamp dawg. It has worked pretty good so far. It has some cuts in the chest and shoulders but none have got thru these areas. It has one pass thru near the back end of the vest where it's the loosest. He runs on the ground with the bay dogs and hunts just like they do.
If I had to buy another I would add the extra layer of Kevlar for good measure.

I haven't looked to make sure but I believe they are 2 layers of ballistic courdura ( inner and outer)  and 1 layer of Kevlar(between other 2) in the full and half bay.

Shotgun
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »

I have a CD vest and the outside has been cut there but nothing all the way through.

Hell Hounds are loose!
daknowles08
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:20:34 am »

We have a friend that uses them on his catch dogs and he loves them! They are really tough and I know he has caught some hogs with really big cutters. It might get the outside layer but thats as far as it goes. We are ordering one for our cd.
Hillbilly Safari
Bay Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 10:34:47 am »

swamp dawg is all we use the old ones were much better IMO I have one that I have had for several years and the outter layer has took a beating but never had a pass thru I also have a new one that is much lighter but im not sure if the infused kevelar will be as tough as the old ones If I were going to get another I would have a extra layer added just for good measures
mailman
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 01:12:34 pm »

Yea I'm not shooting it down yet either. It feels like it could take some punishment and ANY vest can get cut through with time… just seems too good to be true.

Does your super suit have any extra in the chest? My bikini vest feels like it has some extra in the collar but from there down it uniform thickness. I think the vest is made up of two layers of one material and one layer of extra thick correctional kevlar. Don’t quote me on that… might be three layers of correctional kevlar.

I don't think there's anything extra in the chest.  I think you're right, it's Cordura outside, correctional kevlar in the middle and something else on the inside.  It might be another layer of cordura.  The collar does feel a little thicker, but it might be the nylon straps making it feel more beefy.  I went with the Blaze Timber also.  It's easy to spot, I like that.
sanman
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 05:32:51 pm »

My buddies run a full vest on one of their catch dogs. It is around a year old. They hunt 4-5 times a week. The only problem I have seen with it is the outer covering. It seems to tear pretty easy. Only had on pass through though. I just sewed all the rips and cuts in the outer layer for them, probably 10 in all. He didnt like the open area between the collar and vest, along the upper neck. I built some Kevlar flaps to fill this gap, and its now fully covered. I don't know if it is from washing it after every hunt, or something with the fabric that makes it rip so easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: