April 23, 2024, 03:46:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old females and milk production  (Read 305 times)
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2013, 06:43:23 pm »

My old btch (10 years old) had 6 pups with no problems on the 21st.  The pups act like they are doing well.  They are vigorous, nursing well on their own, and she is very attentive to them.  The pups do not cry excessivly, and sleep when they are not nursing.  However, she does not appear to have much milk production.  I know some times it is normal to take a day or two for the milk production to ramp up, but I want to have some ideas/solutions floating around in my head incase she does not pick it up in the next few days.  Also, if any of yall are very versed in warning signs to look for that the pups are not getting enough , other than the obvious. Please feel free to share.  I come from the school that they will raise them or they wont.  But I've been trying for six years to get pups out of her and finally got her bred this time.  Knowing that she is old and her hormones may not be that of a young gyp, I Just want to have my ducks in a row in case I need to help them out a little bit.

Waylon
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:07:03 pm »

I do know goats milk is a great replacement if it comes to that.
t.wilbanks
Hog Doom

Trenton Wilbanks Daingerfield,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:13:12 pm »

Waylon , when my gyp wasnt producing much milk, I was told to give her calcium gluconate... Got it at tractor supply...
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:48:16 pm »

I used pet-cal tablets 1 aday and milk replacer over the bitches food it helped alot.

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: