March 29, 2024, 08:16:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: dane vs stag
stag - 2 (33.3%)
dane - 4 (66.7%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dane vs stag  (Read 696 times)
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2013, 10:52:02 pm »

Great Danes seem to be stronger on catching with a wider head and jaws. But I have no experience with neither breed. So as a rcd only which breed would you choose?
Thanks!

Mathews mission venture
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 05:50:23 am »

Stags are faster and more athletic. I'd choose which ever one catches and holds better. A cross of the two would be awesome.
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:19:54 am »

Never had or been around either, so my answer is based on what I think or feel would best suit my needs.

If i wanted somethin that"ll run the nikes off a hog, I'd just get one of the millions of running walkers around here, not a stag.

So my answer is dane, Mainly because of stopping and holding power, a decent size hog will have a hard time shaking one of its ear. Again my answer is strictly hypothetical so take it lightly lol
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:05:14 am »

I got a stag so I'm gonna say stag lol ,
I just haven't seen a large supply if working Danes so it will be harder to find one I think
Stags on the other hand most guys that have stags hunt them an if they don't hunt an work for them they don't keep them , so if you find a guy that has been hunting stags for 20 years or so an catches alot of game then you might try an get a pup off him that would be a good bet

Just remember stags are not bulldogs an can not be treated as if they are , they will catch an hold the biggest hog you wanna get if you have started them right an not just let them get there but handed to them
They need confidence an mine seem to like me alot an I think he works good for me because he knows that I'm right behind him to help him out an not just gonna leave him out to dry
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:49:39 am »

I've got a Dane and my pigs don't run far or they'll need a new rear end. Lol So my Dane does fine.

Hell Hounds are loose!
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:48:48 am »

Can u post pics of ur Dane and where did u get him from. Most Danes I find are not any good at hunting

Mathews mission venture
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:21:54 am »

I can't figure out the pic thing.lol

Hell Hounds are loose!
CENTEX FINDER/HOLDERS
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »

I have hunted with several of both and if your comparing same size dogs, Holding power is about the same. The difference comes in whether you want your RCD to hunt or find its own, or wait for another dog to take it to the pig. A stag willll hunt but it depends on breeding and maturity. A stag must be given time to mature to reach its best potential. And Im talking 3yrs. So it takes some comitment and patients to have stag pups in your yard. So for you guys that dump a dog after a couple hunts. Your gona send on what might be a sledge Hammer on a big boar given another 6mos to a year. But thats the trade off to have speed, hardness and no doubt about the result.

Now I bet y'all could have figured this one out. The Danes are similar with the maturity deal but not quite as long 1 1/2 yrs is a better measure for the switches to flip.
The marked difference is a Dane will run a track. A Dane is also a pig winding SOB. They hunt like no other dog typically used. So it's very hard to picture. But a Dane will get intence put its nose and head very high and straight and float right to the pig and then without much pause or excitement grab a hold.
With time It would be very hard to use a Dane as a dog that only fallows other dogs to the pigs. I don't pretend to be some expert but I've invested all my time into these breeds of dog and done the research as well as use them.
I enjoy both. They're both fast, both strong, and both big depending on breeding. But for me since Im not gona run a strike only type dog with them my money would go to A Dane as an alrounder. Unless the Stag was bred from nose hunting stags then its a wash.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: