|
Reuben
|
 |
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:58:26 pm » |
|
I traded for a Garmin 220 and it came with a map card and a long range antenna...the man was super nice and we made other agreements and I felt like we hit it off rather well and he seems very trustworthy...but I would like more input before I spend some money...
He says that the dc30 collars gave him about 2 mile range (on the 220) and the dc40 collars have been giving him 1.5 miles...he also said that the other difference is that sometimes the dc30 will get dirt build up where the charger hooks up to the collar and must get cleaned out before charging but the dc40 does not have that problem...
I said that I might upgrade to the Garmin 320 and he said both collars will work with the 320...so that sounds good to me...
any other pro's and con's???
THX
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog... A hunting dog is born not made...
|
|
|
|
Easttex91
|
 |
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 06:39:30 pm » |
|
Dc30 collar has been workin fine for me I try to charge it a day or 2 early just to make sure it gets charged
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
Shotgun wg
|
 |
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 06:50:11 pm » |
|
There is nothing wrong with a 220 and lots of folks like them better than a 320. Dc30 are considered to be better by most than 40's. so I believe the guy to be shooting u straight. Long as u are happy with the price and everything works I believe u will be happy.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Shotgun
|
|
|
|
Black Smith
|
 |
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:05:41 pm » |
|
I think you will be happy with them all I have is the dc 40s have been happy with them. I did just send one back because it would not turn off but they are sending me another. to me it don't matter what you have they will have problems now and again. Sooner or later we will all have to go to the 320 because they no longer make the 220 but until mine goes out I will keep it.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
Reuben
|
 |
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 08:45:27 pm » |
|
everyone...thanks for the input...
I reckon I will get a 30 and a 40 and then once I decide which one I like better I will buy 2 more of that one...
should I buy a tuff skin antenna or just buy and use the collars as they come?
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog... A hunting dog is born not made...
|
|
|
|
hoghunter71409
|
 |
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:29 pm » |
|
I've hunted with each combo. I like the DC 30 and the 220 the best. Good DC 30 r hard to find and expensive. Repair on a 20 is a lot. I've had the same experience as what the man told u. I have a 220 and would not want a 320.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
Black Smith
|
 |
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 09:13:21 pm » |
|
I like the tuff skin antenna from buzzard roost the best!!!
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
Reuben
|
 |
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 09:40:34 pm » |
|
I like the tuff skin antenna from buzzard roost the best!!!
what will the tuff skin antenna do for the 30 and 40?
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog... A hunting dog is born not made...
|
|
|
|
Black Smith
|
 |
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:16 pm » |
|
It will get more range and a lot tougher than the one that comes on the collar!!
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
Reuben
|
 |
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 05:09:27 am » |
|
thanks...
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog... A hunting dog is born not made...
|
|
|
|
charles
|
 |
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 07:29:15 am » |
|
Stay with 220 n dc30s. The feller is tellin it to u straight.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Why should I trade one tyrant three thousand miles away for three thousand tyrants one mile away? An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as a king can!
|
|
|
|
firemedic
|
 |
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 11:16:15 am » |
|
Well Reuben, I guess I'm gonna disagree with most on here. I have a 220 and a 320 and like the 320 much better. I bought 2 DC 40 collars when they first came out and a few months ago bought another DC40, they work great for me. Some of my buddies have some DC 30s and they do have an problem charging sometimes. I think some folks just keep an old toothbrush with the chargers and clean the contacts each time. I would advise getting some tuffskins for your collars.....Conkeys has what I think are the best ones....some of the others fall apart I've heard folks say. The DC 30s are more fragile I do believe than the 40s. I just don't see the wisdom in buying an older version of a collar when newer is out there. This technology is progressing fairly quickly seems like and I believe in keeping up. I have one of the extendable/ folding antennas and really like it....yes it's a bit more fragile than the fixed type but I take care of my stuff......have to work too hard to get it to be rough with it. I've only had to use my long range antenna once since I got the extendable/folding one. Besides.....you can get the birdseye with the 320 and that is, in my opinion, the sweetest thing they've come out with. Good luck.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
|
|
|
|
Bo Pugh
|
 |
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 11:31:25 am » |
|
over here where we hunt in alabama its not open land mostly thickets and i can tell the dc 30s pick up better than 40s, between me and my buddys we got about 30 collars and have all agreed the 30s do get a better range and dont loose signal as quick as the 40. i got a 220 and some of them have a 320 and the only thing i dont like about the 320 is that it eats batterys up alot faster than the 220. but i wouldnt leave the house to go hunting without either a 220 or a 320. when you get one and start using it you will wonder how you managed all them years of hunting without it.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
Reuben
|
 |
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 11:54:51 am » |
|
thanks to all...I really appreciate all the input... I was out hunting a big and thick place and we couldn't hear the dogs but they showed treed and these dogs have plenty of gritt...but seeing the dogs treed really made me/us hurry to get there...and they had the bacon...to say the least I was very impressed...I think it is very bad for a pack of dogs to keep a hog caught for a long time and they finally give up one at a time from heat exhaustion...then we call them in and that in my mind is negative training/re-enforcement...the dogs learn to catch one and then give up and come in after a while...I new this as a young man and tried to keep up...but at 58 years old I don't do it that way any more...  but with the garmin, it tells you when you need to hurry and when to just cruise...  when the dogs know you are coming no matter what...they will hang in there...they do their part and we must do ours...and the garmin is a big plus...I am just now building a pack that is worthy of me spending a little more...
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog... A hunting dog is born not made...
|
|
|
|