April 28, 2024, 03:50:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Kennels Are Finished...Time To Go Hunting!  (Read 21474 times)
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2010, 10:14:56 am »

How do you keep them from bailing out the top? I got a dog that is part Air Jordan. She would hit the platform and and be gone... very nice setup. 

I have one dog that jumped over into the next kennel a couple times trying to convince the neighbor to become his girlfriend.  I pulled the welder back down and covered the back half of his pen with some of the panel I had left over.  I still have two 5' X 5' pieces, and will prob. do two more pens when I get the chance.  No other dogs have tried to get out.  During the summer, a lot of the dogs liked to lay on top of the barrels with their front and back legs hanging over.  I only have a couple of dogs that will stand on top of the drums.

very nice.....where did the drums come from.....they look flat sided?Huh?? fill us in how they are mounted.....Pigstkr

The drums are just regular round soap drums.  I just spaced two runs of angle iron where the barrels would saddle between them.  I never had a dog knock one off, but they kept rolling them.  Recently, I drilled a hole through the barrel and the front piece of angle iron and put a single bolt and nut just to keep them from turning.  The front of the barrels are only cut half open...idea was to leave a lip to keep hay in.  Another lesson learned...even a tiny bit of hay and septic systems do NOT get along.  That was a mistake I won't make again.

I also recently made a puppy ramp.  Used two pieces of 2"X6" fastened together, then bolted a piece of angle iron across the top where it would easily hook onto a platform.  I made it long enough that the slope wouldn't be so great they would have trouble climbing it.  I have two 8-11 week old pups in there now, and both within minutes figured out how to run up to the platform and get in the barrel.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: