April 25, 2024, 12:34:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping Dogs In Shape?  (Read 2423 times)
Brad W.
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:58 pm »

I have been unable to hunt due to a back injury. I don't live on a ton of property and my dogs don't have much room to run so I'm worried about them gaining weight and becoming out of shape. I have surgery on the 7th and will be out of commission for a while afterwards. Any ideas on how to keep my dogs in shape while I'm out??? I'm worried that they'll become lazy and I'm also concerned about them forgetting what they're supposed to be hunting. My dogs are fairly young and just now turning on. If I'm out for a few weeks/months will I have to start all over??
Ron
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:36:52 am »

I lead my bull dogs with the four wheeler. I give them about 15 min. a day. This should work for any dog , just increase distance for bay dogs

If you ain't doing what you love, you ain't living!!!
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 06:50:48 am »

I was looking into a treadmill for dogs.....internet cost about 700.00 my friend has built his in past for ALOT less. I live in the burbs so Ihave that problem all the time...

from me.....who else. tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:19:53 am »

Look up dog carpet mill on youtube a lot of people with bully breeds use them

Mathews mission venture
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:55:04 am »

the dog treadmills would be sweet to own , but you can get hit pretty hard in the pocket book owning one   lol  the plain old human treadmills can be modified to work dogs on and can be had for next to nothing , when somebody realized they didn't really wanna workout after all  lol .  Shocked :

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:04:30 am »

We only hunt a few months out the year. The dogs ain't gonna forget what they already know. Will they be as sharp as dogs hunted every
weekend ? Of course not. But they wont forget what it is they suppose to be hunting assuming they knew before you laid them up.
Our dogs will lose a lil muscle mass from being laid up but after a hunt or two in the marshes where we hunt they muscle right back up.

If you could get someone to turn em out and let em run around once a week that would do them a ton of good until you get back on your
feet. Good luck with your surgery.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
Lance
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:38 am »

Place them with a hog hunting friend that you trust and let them hunt the dogs while your laid up.

A scared dog dont get no meat !
makenbeans
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:30:18 pm »

I try to run mine once a week 5-6 miles in large fields, they get in front of the truck and go. Their are no hogs in this area.
aussie black mouth curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:38:01 pm »

No mate they won't forget.  At worst they'll be unfit and a bit trashy.  I would put e-collars on them for the first two or three trips back.

I jog my dogs beside a pushbike 2-3 times a week when I have a big multi day hunt coming up.  I run them about 5 miles on loose gravel road to harden there feet.  Seems to work but they are always exhausted after a big trip.

txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 09:40:55 am »

Dana won't forget...  haha.  Man this time of year i leave mine on chains almost the entire summer till sometimes November.  One year i had to take a year off due to a game warden issue. My dogs didn't move for a year.  They will not forget.  Take care of yourself and then get back to hunting.  They will be fine. 

Proud TDHA Member!
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 09:48:46 am »

Dana won't forget...  haha.  Man this time of year i leave mine on chains almost the entire summer till sometimes November.  One year i had to take a year off due to a game warden issue. My dogs didn't move for a year.  They will not forget.  Take care of yourself and then get back to hunting.  They will be fine. 

Issue ?

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:59:11 am »

Issue ?

I got a wasted game charge on some meat that spoiled. It was a ticketed offense but kinda got hot after being harrassed for 8 months after admitting everything i did wrong and not knowing of such a charge.  Anyways he never wrote a ticket he just kept coming around for 8 MONTHS..  Finally i had been very easy going and did everything ask till i popped one day and so i went to jail twice over it and got my liscense pulled for 1 year.  Needless to say he left me alone for that year and as soon as i got my liscense back he came around again untill we had some words and he hasn't came around for at least 3 years now. 

I'm not the type to jumps fenses or do things wrong.  I was brought up right in all hunting laws but i hung a deer up in 30 degree weather to let age and got called into work which i worked a straight 48.  The first day atwork it got to about 50  the next was close to 75 when he showed up.  Oh well, i learned from it. 

Proud TDHA Member!
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 11:18:44 am »

Sounds like he had it out for you.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 11:54:06 am »

the dog treadmills would be sweet to own , but you can get hit pretty hard in the pocket book owning one   lol 

What do you mean by this?
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:44 pm »

If you live within city limits and/or have nosy neighbors, any dog slatmill, spring pole, flirt pole, or anything else you can think of can an will cause you headache when you're accusednof dog fighting or conditioning dogs to fight.  Most of the public is ignorant and only believe what national geographic and animal planet tell them about dogs and training them and what to watch for.
txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 01:20:26 pm »

Sounds like he had it out for you.

I know what he wanted..   He wanted information on others and i wouldn't share.  I see allot because I'm always hunting but what i see is none of my business unless its on my place!  Wink

Oh well im past it now and he better have all his card right the next time he stops me! 

Proud TDHA Member!
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »

the dog treadmills would be sweet to own , but you can get hit pretty hard in the pocket book owning one   lol

I meant just that they [ the ones I looked at  ] are pretty pricey for just a tread mill , and a garage sale treadmill can be had for a little bit of nothing  [ the older ones ] without all the computer stuff on them  . me I use to just load the dogs up a couple at a time in the summer and go swimming no better way to condition muscle tone in a dog  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
daknowles08
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 03:16:46 pm »

I meant just that they [ the ones I looked at  ] are pretty pricey for just a tread mill , and a garage sale treadmill can be had for a little bit of nothing  [ the older ones ] without all the computer stuff on them  . me I use to just load the dogs up a couple at a time in the summer and go swimming no better way to condition muscle tone in a dog  .

I think that is what Im going to do this summer...swim them...I can fill up a metal water trough or take them to the tanks and swim them! They will stay cool while exercising! It will help build their wind up too, or at least it does for the horses!!
redriverslim
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 03:48:07 pm »

I raised and conditioned gamedogs for 20 yrs, (years ago, NOT ANYMORE) I can tell you that you DO NOT want a carpet mill of any kind.  A carpet mill has way too much resistance.  Any knowledgable bulldog man will tell you that a carpet mill is something a rookie would use.  A carpet mill is something you see at a pitbull conformation and weightpull show that's for sale, but aint no real dogman gonna buy one.  It is similar to the same workout the dog would get by pulling weights, which is also a NO NO if you are trying to build endurance.  When you drag weights with a dog, or run him on a carpet mill it causes the dog to become too muscle bound.  You want a strike dog out there moving freely, carrying no extra weight, and breathing easy.  Also, a carpet mill in the hands of a novice, can burn a dogs kidneys up real quick.  A treadmill should be EXTREMELY free spinning, like glass, I mean smooth, smooth, smooth.  Also, a super free spinning slatmill (one worth having) can injure a dog pretty quick if the guy using it doesn't know what he's doing.  It takes most dogs some getting used to a slatmill, because its off the ground, noisy, unnatural surface.  They can get there feet hung up in the slats very easy and then you've got torn pads.  The best ones use old tyme roller skate wheels (the cheap ones).  Also, a treadmill is way too expensive (unless you can find a used one) to need for a hogdog anyway, and most guys would just ruin the dog on it anyway.  A better idea would be to do as mentioned by someone else earlier, just hook a lead rope to them and trot them next to an ATV, MULE, etc around in a pasture.  You want to put them into whats called a "coyote trot", which is a smooth steady gait (not running, not walking).  Run them around for 30 min a few times per week and they will be in excellent shape for a dog not being used.  But in reality, you don't need to do anything, just  cut the food back.

The most common mistake is simply overfeeding.  If you are not using them, just cut way back on their feed.  I used to like my dogs where their ribs were slightly showing and you could barely see their hip bones sticking up.  Not starved, just real lean and not carrying any extra garbage around.  If you've got good dogs, they should have enough heart to get themselves back in shape in just a couple hunts, even if they've been sitting on the chain for several months.  If you keep them LEAN, they will be OK.             
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 11:56:06 pm »

Thank you red river slim I didn't realize that much about the carpet treadmill stuff

Mathews mission venture
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: