March 29, 2024, 07:18:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who hunts with all or mostly lacy dogs?  (Read 2524 times)
ole shep
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:46:19 pm »

Thinking about changing things up a little. Need to hear about some packs. I know T Graham used them. And a guy named Steve. And a guy named Brooks. But I never hunted with any of them. I use them for blood trails. But never had a sure Nuff strike dog. But it's hard to get ahead of some of the hounds I got. But damn they go a long ways. Kinda looking for something that can stay on 1 or 2 thousand acres.

There is nothing a dip of snuff won't make better. Bow hunter. Bend it and send it. WWT approved
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:58:28 pm »

I have when I first started bayed and shot what they didnt catch. I like my curs but never have I seen dogs work a hog like lacys can when they work as a team I dont thimk there is a better dog for a bayed hog. Know I am going to catch hell for that coment but it is true they flat work a hog.  For hog dogs the best ones have been crossed with something
The one I got attached to was a ridgeback/lacy.   I love my lacys but they are lacys.  Can it be done oh yeah but it will be fun.
Lacy man
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:06 pm »

I have 2, my male a blood dog that I feel like you could call finished, and a gyp that is a hog dog, does really good baying pretty loose kinda like purebreed said, she just started rolling pretty good before I bred her, 400yard and closer and was always going to the bay. Seems like most Lacys are slower to develop then the hounds/curs etc. My male was finding deer and or catching by 6 months vs my female that started ranging/ huntin out around 14 months. Still like em though I ll always have a few if they prove to be worth having a pack of em I ll do that. Until then I ll keep a couple hound crosses and a cur in the yard. Got a while to go there's alot of junk alot there to sort through to find decent dogs
ole shep
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 10:20:04 pm »

I got one coming on but dont think he will make the cut! He does nothing wrong but not special either! Has not been hunting much either so he could make it. Lacy man ever have any dog fights. My blood dogs stay apart unless I know deer is alive. And the cowdogs I had dare not growl amongst  them or you would find out quick the order you were in. Usually  on bottom.

There is nothing a dip of snuff won't make better. Bow hunter. Bend it and send it. WWT approved
Lacy man
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:28:21 pm »

My male don't put up with much chit to say the least, normally I don't have issues though he's pretty good. If a male dog bows up he won't wait for him to start though. My female is great. Prob sweetest hunting dog I ve ever had. She actually smiles at you when you talk to her. And hell on a hog when she sees it.  I wouldn't give up on ya dog, prob just a slower dog like kinda like my female. She hasn't been a Rock star, BUT has progressively got better, she has never takin steps back always did better every hunt. Really smart dogs too.
Lacy man
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 10:29:48 pm »

I always run him solo. I bet he d be not to kind to another dog around "his" deer though he's pretty intense when it comes to his deer. Lol but he "gets out" when I pull him off.
kds
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:51:06 pm »

Thinking about changing things up a little. Need to hear about some packs. I know T Graham used them. And a guy named Steve. And a guy named Brooks. But I never hunted with any of them. I use them for blood trails. But never had a sure Nuff strike dog. But it's hard to get ahead of some of the hounds I got. But damn they go a long ways. Kinda looking for something that can stay on 1 or 2 thousand acres.

I have hunted with T Graham and a buddy of mine has a female from his line of dogs. All the lacy dogs i have hunt with will bay a hog until another dog catch the hog and then will help out.
daknowles08
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:32:23 am »

Just go ahead and get you some BMCs ole shep!!!  Grin
ole shep
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:14:28 am »

Ha Dustin, I just won't hardly walk down the most traveled road! Im always going to be a little different sometimes it's not a good thing.

daknowles08
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:38:13 am »

Ha Dustin, I just won't hardly walk down the most traveled road! Im always going to be a little different sometimes it's not a good thing.
This is Ashley!! Hey we are walking down a different road from our pack...got a couple hound crosses that are fixin to need new homes! They arent going to fit our pack!!! Made me think of you when we got them!!! Hows the family doing?
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:51 pm »

My dads old dog befor she passed didnt show true potential till 6 or so she turned into a hell of a dog after that.  Have been around vary few that could hunt at 12  13 and hunt hard but she could and would. She went out with a bang killed a porkiepine and it caused her to be put to sleep at somewhere around 13 think she knew her time was up and she wanted one last horaa befor she went kinda weird but these dogs are like that think they are a hell of a lot smarter than lots of humans
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:57 pm »

Going from hounds to Lacy's would  not be easy for me. Rough ,short range , dog aggressive. Hunted a little with a guy who had an all Lacy pack. Had a few my self. Never had the notion to try another.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
Lacy man
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 01:05:37 pm »

Going from hounds to Lacy's would  not be easy for me. Rough ,short range , dog aggressive. Hunted a little with a guy who had an all Lacy pack. Had a few my self. Never had the notion to try another.

See I think it depends on the lines cause my female isn't rough at all bays loose but will bite one in the butt if it turns. My male is a little rough in deer but he's far from short range, he ll run a deer down until he catches him.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 01:10:26 pm »

I hunted with Tom for years and years he was a all Lacy man thats all he ever owned.  I have seen some mighty good ones and I have seen some not worth a plug nickel .  They are a different animal thats for sure they have their own ways and you either lovem are hatem .   Tom had a old dog name Sarge that was as good as any Lacy I ever seen and he had another dog name Chigger that was a damn jam up dog.  Ole Chigger Tom and me put a many many hogs in la la land .  He had some good females also .   One of the best Lacy dogs I have ever hunted with is the one I own and not because I own her she is just a damn good little dog are she would not be here and the only Lacy dog left on my yard and just had pups out of a hell of a dog here on the yard .  I was given her by Tom when she was a baby and she grew up hunting not with lacys but with my dogs so she will go both ways at times she will go her lacy way sometimes but most the time she will hunt just like my cur dogs do.  She has found many many many hogs for me and can and will strike hogs in front of my cur dogs at times and others .  Short to med range but has some real stick power once on a hog.  Nose in the air a lot of the time but will put it down and track one down also .  One thing about this gyp when she stops and looks up in which ever direction you better put your cowboy boots on and go because once she takes off there is no doubt fixing to be hogs at the end of it .  She a good one thats why she is here .  I have had a love hate relationship with her for a long long time but she has learned to put up with me and I have learned I better put up with her because she does and will find hogs with the best I got .  I have learned her ways and dont even pay her no mind no more because about the time you start cussing her she will show you your behind !

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 01:40:58 pm »

See I think it depends on the lines cause my female isn't rough at all bays loose but will bite one in the butt if it turns. My male is a little rough in deer but he's far from short range, he ll run a deer down until he catches him.
  Blood dogs can not be compared to a hog dog. A dog running down an animal or following a physical (blood) track has nothing to do with range at all.  I have seen plenty that are loose. But for the most part after seeing a lot hunt that most are on the rougher side.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
ole shep
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:31 pm »

Sorry Ashley, I don't think I will ever not have a set of hounds that being said I know thay run past hogs trailing up one. I almost want to try some bull/bird dog. But then I can sell purebred dogs. I got some ruff hairy ones now that are doing pretty good. Besides I'm researching a little 20 years ago a lot of people hunted Lacys. I think the YBMC have elvolded along with the pigs giving them advantage over other breeds.

jerryg
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 01:56:49 pm »

My lacy is kamikaze dog aggressive. If the deer was dead there would be a dog fight.  If he was loose and I had a dog on a chain he would jump it!  Drive me nuts so I neutered him.  Did t expect to stop the dog aggression but I assured that trait would not be passed on. It was hard to have him neutered as good of a dog as he was finding wounded deer, but that's what needs to be done, of not you just keep passing on those negative traits to the offspring.
Lacy man
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 02:29:36 pm »

Blood dogs can not be compared to a hog dog. A dog running down an animal or following a physical (blood) track has nothing to do with range at all.  I have seen plenty that are loose. But for the most part after seeing a lot hunt that most are on the rougher side.

I disagree, so your telling me that when there is no physical blood from the spot of where the hunter claims he shot the deer and say 24 hours go by and I being my dog and he goes out castin 500-800 yards before he strait lines and bays up a deer he can't be considered rangy or compared to a hog dog?
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 02:31:27 pm »

Pop corn anyone? Geesh....

www.peachcreekcatahoulas.com

Victor dog food dealer. Cleveland Texas
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 02:35:11 pm »

Lmao !

Popcorn and Beer time !

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: