April 19, 2024, 01:17:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who all hunts straight hounds...  (Read 949 times)
Crossstock
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:19:01 am »

How do they compare to other breeds yal have hunted? Also does anyone have silent hounds?
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:13 am »

I have a couple of silent Redbone s that I love. I have a you female that should be silent out of the same stock as my male that I'm wanting to sell. I don't know if she'll be silent but all the other I've had out of this breeding have been.

Hell Hounds are loose!
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:48:44 am »

I have cur dog an a Redtick I been mostly hunting Redtick though
He hunts close to medium till hits track or winds one he winds from box , 4 wheeler or hood an when he gets on one he gonna run it down he fast on track an loose baying will catch with other dogs or bulldog an when you get hands on hogs he rolls out

Oh an hes open on track , if he barks its a hog

The key to catching hogs is fast track dog that can move track , open or silent if it can't move track fast the hog will make a long race out of it if he wants

Don't believe these guys that say open dogs make hogs run blah blah if the hog gonna run he gonna run any way , we have bayed a hog have hound roll off open up 2 or 3 times an get bayed again 300 yards away
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:25:49 pm »

I started out with cur dogs and hunted them for may years with one plott hound.  For the past 4 or 5 years, I have all all plott hounds (5-6) and one cur dog.  Hunting with hounds is just different.  They start different, they range further, I believe they tend to bay and catch a littel different and for sure they sound different.  I like hunting with hounds better becuase of the cold nose trailing.  Many cur dog guys will catch more hogs then me, but I enjoy catching the one hog that the cur dogs guys cannot catch becuase the track is too old or the cur dogs wont run long enough.  I enjoy an all day race and I really like keeping up with pedigrees.  I like the fact that I can load my hounds and go to most any other state and run bears or run big cats.  I think you either love hounds or you hate them.  I could not see myself going back to all cur dogs unless I just ran out of spots to hunt.

If a man dont have large places to hunt and you just have small leases, hounds may not be for him.
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:36 pm »

I do. Blueticks. And yes, they are loud.  Grin
BigCutters4
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:16:00 pm »

I have hunted w curs for 15 yrs and I'm making a change to plotts I'm down to one cur and she is half plott

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
fla.swineslayer
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:39:41 pm »

My cur/hound mix hunts short to medium range but will carry one to the next county when he strikes. He is silent as long as he is in front if there is another dog in front of him he bawls like a Walker dog. I hunt him mostly by himself and he is all catch
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: