March 29, 2024, 09:51:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dogo's heat tolerance/wind ?  (Read 556 times)
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »

you guys that hunt dogo's how have you found their heat tolerance and wind to be.
txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »

Compaired to what??  I have one that will wind at least 500 yards.  Heat tolerance compaired to a pit, american??  No comparision!  Ive owned them all.  Summer time is dogo time for sure. 

Proud TDHA Member!
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:01:43 pm »

I must say here, that it's a pretty basic concept. If you keep your dogs lean and in shape through the hot times, and you have sense of when to pick up your dogs, you should be fine no matter what the breed. Of course, bigger heavier breeds, or breeds with shorter muzzles are TYPICALLY prone to become overheated faster than a smaller to medium breed dog. I can compare my 100lb American Bulldog to one of our 40lb APBT's.....which shows the signs of heat distress faster? My Am Bull. Doesn't stop him from working, but there's an obvious difference. And I keep ALL of my dogs lean, because it gets hot as Hades here.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:07:44 pm »

Thanks for the replies. I wondered when I wrote this if my use of the word wind was a good choice. Although I am also interested in their winding abilities, I meant wind as in stamina.
I also meant all things equal when asking about their heat tolerance. I know quite a bit about conditioning/keeping a dog at top performance. Dogos are big but appear to be built to handle heat better than other dogs their size longer muzzle, tighter skin, leaner body type than say aan am bull or mastiff.
was curious if this assumption was correct. Comments?
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:10:06 am »

Depends on the lines of am bull you compare them to. I've got one from Americanlegendz kennels and he hasn't shown any problems hunting on warmer days we've had this year so far built like you described the dogo longer muzzle tighter skin muscled up as all get out but still lean gonna push him hard this summer and see but I as stated just watch them dogs of the same breed will all react a little differently.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: