April 19, 2024, 06:32:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone has those hunts.............  (Read 1868 times)
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2009, 02:15:36 pm »

Had a few moments last week that made me scratch my head. Picked up a new spot to hunt that holds some pigs. Been there twice and seen decent numbers of hogs. Bayed 5 hogs. Caught 3(size isnt important). Both times we hunted we saw hogs breaking out of the brush and making a run for it. We should have some decent hunts if we can manage to pull our heads out of our azz.

Problem- Does any one notice problems with the dogs baying in VERy thick thorn bushes? Some places so thick that the dogs are forced to bay 8-10'' from the hog.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:26:25 pm »

haha I like em to bay 8-10' away even if they are in a coastal patch  Wink
MG

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:34:12 pm »

Matt, I like a loose baying dog but it seemed to give the hogs the chance to pick an opening and haul butt. The dogs couldnt control the hog worth a crap.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:37:09 pm »

Thickets are tough all the way around.  I have hunted in some wild lemon thickets and green vine thickets that you pray to get out of.  They are hard on the dogs and can be a good place for a wreck to happen when the dogs can't get out of the way.  If the dogs catch it might take you 15 minutes to get to them if your lucky, definitely complicates things.  Some of these places around here that we hunt are like that, you will start a hog every time you go and you may see hogs but catching is a different story.  It doesn't take long for the hogs to get real flighty in places like that either.
MG

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
WestTexasCurs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 02:40:38 pm »

Those thick spots are where I catch alot of hogS.I have a spot that I have been hunting for 9 or ten years.This place has lots of hills with oak thickets on top,and a creek running through the bottoms.The oak thickets are bad,but along this creek on the eastside is a big thicket.This thicket runs about 200 yards wide,and runs north and south along the creek for A little over a mile.The thicket its self is plum,blue bush,and bee bush,briars with some oak,mesquite,and a little pear.You cant walk though it,you gotta get down and crawl.The only way to get around in there is to follow the hog tunnels around.I have had some up close and personal meetings with hogs in there.It is almost impossible for a dog to keep out of a hogs way in there.And I have had lots of dogs cut down in that thicket.Lots of dogs have never came out of that thicket.My dogs chased the same big boar in and out of that thicket for 4 years.I never even got close to catchin him,but I have seen him lots of times.And have put four or five shots into him.He never killed any of my dogs,but cut several of them.I took a guy with me one time that had some rough ole cur dogs.He was gonna catch my bad hog for me.He turned out 5 of those big ole jug headed yeller dogs.At the end of the day we got one back.And my bad hog is still on the loose in there,as far as I know.I hadnt hunted that place in awhile.I always end up on my hands and knees in that thicket.
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 02:44:56 pm »

WestTexasCurs,
      Almost the same set-up. Wooded creek. Open on both sides. We will get it figured out at some point.

Rich.
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 02:55:57 pm »

I'm no hog expert but I think the hogs stay in those thickets cause they know they are safe. I have a spot like that. The hogs won't bay, they just run when they hear, see, or smell a hog. I have only caught one hog after it broke and my Cat trailed it for 3-4 hundred yards. Big and small, they all leave the dogs behind in the thicket.
WestTexasCurs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 02:58:50 pm »

Maybe you will get one of those smart ole boars.Sure was alot of fun,but also made my stomach turn because I knew how easy he could kill a dog in there.Always knew it was him,he was always on the north end on this thicket.Dogs would bark once,or twice then he'd bust and head south through the thicket,down the draw to the creek,over the hill,onto a high fence place that I dont know who owns.Most of the time he would string the dogs out just in the thicket.He would be so far ahead of them,I would catch them up before they hit the creek.
Bump
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 04:17:06 pm »

I was the guilty party involved as well. As far as we know the area has not been dogged before us.

The first day I assumed my Jagd was trying to catch but didnt have the a$$ to hold. They would bay then run ....bay then run. In fact we started to one bay and it broke...my dog was 'yipping' behind the pig coming right towards us...hog just hits a small briar patch and lays down...dogs go flying past us. I walked over with a bull dog and he bust out again.

Next hunt they are bayed in a tangled mess of green briar and I thought the hog was going to be really big....Luke had that 'I dont want any bark' . I walked in too close to cut the bull dogs in and he broke and ran. It was my screw up but I didnt want to send my dog in on a death sentence.

Rex Bumpus
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: