March 29, 2024, 12:03:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Boudreaux/Clemmons Pup  (Read 2384 times)
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 09:40:35 pm »

I mean don't let any one be grabbing it by the head , nose , slapping it around the head to get it to play rough with them , this will teach it bad habits that will be hard to brake , I had a guy jacking with mine like this , she was growling at him and he continued , I seen my wife pick up the pup with a strange look on her face , so I walked over there and just sit down observing , he grabbed at her nose and then slapped it in the ears , the monster came out in me at this point and he cured out you might say , I have been working with this dog since I got it , 24/7 to make here have super handle and then this , he had no idea what he was doing , he does now , once you achieve extreme handle then you can play if need be but not before , that's why I don't show a hog for a while , first teach calmness , handle , you show a hog a lot as a pup this teaches them to attack right off the bat and in most cases anything and trips them out at a young age , teach handle , calmness , around everything first , and then after that then teach it to catch , now once it hits the trip factor it respects you and once calmed down you have super handle. JMO , IT SURE IS A NICE LOOKING DOG ,I've had mine around hundreds of strange dogs , she is really doing good , this is not impossible , if he comes from dog aggressive dogs then this is we're he needs the most work now , not just your pack , go we're there are dogs , parks , ect. Talk to people ask them if you dog can smell there dogs butt , ask strange folks pet your dog , be bold , this is what I do every day with mine , I live by a park , boat ramp , lots of dogs and people , drunks , I go there a lot to teach handle , if yours is like mine he is out going , not scared of nothing with a very aggressive personality , establish your the boss , don't allow it to growl at dogs at a young age , correct bad behavior and you will not have to post a aggression post next year Lol. , I wish you the best , get them papers sent in , if he turns out to be great you'll want them in the future
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 10:52:11 pm »

Thanks Bob, I assumed that's what you meant by no hand games but I wasn't sure. And yes I need to get him
around strange dogs and strange people more than I have been.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 12:21:23 am »

Bob is bang on in his advice with these dogs. Someday he won't just let those curs put him down and you better have that handle to head it off before it's an issue.
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 12:37:31 am »

From my experience with gamedogs I would say consistency is the most important thing. The socialization needs to stay on a consistent basis because with a lot of game bred bulldogs their dog aggression is so strong from years of selective breeding that if you stop the socializing for any prolonged period they will go back to being hot again, and once that happens you better have a lot of time and even more experience. That is some good advice from Bob as well. That prey drive isnt going anywhere its more important to have control.

He sure is a good lookin pup!
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 11:07:01 am »

One thing I would like to add....

There's been some great solid advice on establishing a firm handle on this type of dog...especially from Mr. Bob! I wanted to add....there's a second important factor to owning a dog that's 'battle bred' if you will. ALWAYS be prepared, no matter how good of a handle you have on that dog, to know how to quickly and efficiently break up an accidental fight in the case that one may occur for whatever reason. Always have a stick handy, and remember to stay calm. I felt the need to bring this up, because there have been a few instances (in both the hunting world, and the everyday 'pet' atmosphere as well) I have seen of folks that get so comfortable with their bulldogs that they actually seem to forget that they ARE bulldogs, and boom, an accident occurs for whatever reason, and they just go into panic and do really stupid things in the heat of the moment to try to break up an accident, sometimes even hurting their dog in the process. I've seen dogs ruined this way. All in all, you may know that your bulldog may not START a fight, but keep in mind, they can and will FINISH one. No matter HOW good of a handle we have on our bulldogs that we do take out, we still take small precautionary measures of responsibility to help ensure no accidents occur. We NEVER load a bulldog into the dog box with other dogs. Bulldog always rides solo, or hitched outside of the box for instance. Sometimes if we're hunting with someone else, they may have a dog in their pack that is naturally dominant. Whenever I'm walking a bulldog out on a hunt, I always stay aware to make sure my dog stays clear of such dogs. Little things like that can make a world of difference. I know that not all types of bulldogs used out in the field are off of 'hot' lines, but it's still good to treat them all the same, at least in my opinion. NOT trying to tell anyone how or how not to handle their personal dogs, just trying to offer helpful insight from personal knowledge and experience from owning/working/handling this caliber of dog over the years.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
redriverslim
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 12:02:42 pm »

Nice representative of that line of dogs. I did a breeding to Kincannons Musket a few years back but it was pure Carver down from Lil Man and Miss Kim. Proud to call Floyd a 30 year friend and got to meet Jerry a couple years back.

Lil Man and Kim reminds me of when I was at LG's houseone time, would have been late 80's or so.  He had some brindle and white puppies in a pen and before we left, he asked if we would be interested in buying a puppy.  He showed us these puppies and wanted $250 for them.  He said they were out of his Lil Man dog and Miss Kim.  I passed on the offer, and got back in the truck to go home and I told my buddy . . . "I wouldn't buy one of those puppies, I've never heard of no LIL MAN or KIM.  That stuff aint near as good as this Jeep blood I got at home."  Anyway, you know the rest of the story.  Lil Man and Kim produced GR CH Tina, CH Son, Flint, etc, etc.  Miss Kim went on to become ROM and that bloodline was a consistent ass whooper for the next 3 decades.  That Jeep stuff I had at home was "garden variety" roll dogs at best, but at the time I thought that the pedigree actually meant something.  Anyway, I told that story to G-Man several years later and we bothed laughed and got a big kick out of that story.  Best bitch I ever had was out of Wiggles, a daughter of Ch Leroy Brown and GrCH Tina.           
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 12:30:50 pm »

Very good advise from all of you that commented. Thanks.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: