March 28, 2024, 01:53:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First exposure input please.  (Read 1355 times)
mtarrant23
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 08:45:29 pm »

Some of the best dogs I have seen would run to the corner and coward down when put in a pen take them to the woods and they fired up so don't give up so soon
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 12:12:57 am »

I have a gyp that absolutely won't do a thing in the pen, she is terrified. She bays in the woods

Catch em, tie em, drag em out!
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 11:08:18 pm »

I start all dogs outside a trap. I get a dog that knows what is up and they are on the outside. I used a pen but the dogs jumped in so now I use a trap with a top. It is just so they know what I want. After they are gett'n after the hogs I trash break so they know what I don't want. Then just hunt them. A dog jumping out of a pen is a cull to me. I ad a dog get caught sideways and knocked into the air. But he turned and grabbed the pig's ear on the way up so he did not go far. I don't want a dog that quits. I would rather have a pot licker that won't give up than the best nose on a quiter.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 06:02:41 am »

I start all dogs outside a trap. I get a dog that knows what is up and they are on the outside. I used a pen but the dogs jumped in so now I use a trap with a top. It is just so they know what I want. After they are gett'n after the hogs I trash break so they know what I don't want. Then just hunt them. A dog jumping out of a pen is a cull to me. I ad a dog get caught sideways and knocked into the air. But he turned and grabbed the pig's ear on the way up so he did not go far. I don't want a dog that quits. I would rather have a pot licker that won't give up than the best nose on a quiter.
That was my first thought on the whole deal. Dog was overloaded at the time but I thought he had already been introduced to hogs but he had never seen them. So little more time and patience and I'll see how he does again. He's not mine and the guy that owns him doesn't really hunt...I like the breeding on the dog for possible breeding down the rd to my gyp IF he does a complete turn around on how he does if not I have no use in the dog and he can do with him as he pleases

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: