April 27, 2024, 12:30:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my dogo pup  (Read 1740 times)
S_J_KENNELS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 10:42:37 am »

I just got my first one this year and he is 6 months old right now and wound up like a nine day clock!! My plans were just to use him as a lead in catch dog, just as I do my pits. Do some of you guys actually hunt yours out with your cur dogs or buy them self?

All the above if I am walk hunting they run loose, road hunting small acreage they run loose, turned out to a bay, and also as the main dogs. Mine are versatile, but have never been led in.

Shane
Tiffany
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:41 pm »

on the ground
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 06:49:18 pm »

I start sending my young dogs to caught hogs in the field at 9-10 months. At 11 months I start to send them first with finished dog right behind. By 12-14 months they should be good as main line dog if they have had enough catches under their belt.

Teeth should be real solid at 12 months.

You should think of a dogo as a straight catch cur dog. They should have quite a bit of hunt drive and really want to run and hunt. Some are dead serious early on but some can be playful like what you are describing. I try and let my young ones run down to hunt/run  with my curs all I can to burn off that energy in a productive way and teach they to go look. A pup like that will not do well on leash, they want to hunt.
Just curious, you ever send them dogos on cattle. do they have any sort of "herding" instinct.

Catchin hogs cracker style
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 08:31:53 pm »

A good Dogo should be, or can be, hunted just like a cur dog.

They can be very versatile dogs that can be hunted many different ways.

If I am hunting country I can get around in pretty good, and its not to hot, I run mine down.

Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 09:26:56 pm »

Never led mine in. I walk hunt alot and hes loose. If small property hes loose. I dont like him too far though. I fell I need to get to him quick. If he hit a sounder and he grabs one I dont want him to get jacked up by others. Good thing about a (good) dogo thay can hunt too. Makes it fun. But I will never let him go far from me..

from me.....who else. tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 09:30:22 pm »

I start sending my young dogs to caught hogs in the field at 9-10 months. At 11 months I start to send them first with finished dog right behind. By 12-14 months they should be good as main line dog if they have had enough catches under their belt.

Teeth should be real solid at 12 months.

You should think of a dogo as a straight catch cur dog. They should have quite a bit of hunt drive and really want to run and hunt. Some are dead serious early on but some can be playful like what you are describing. I try and let my young ones run down to hunt/run  with my curs all I can to burn off that energy in a productive way and teach they to go look. A pup like that will not do well on leash, they want to hunt.
Just curious, you ever send them dogos on cattle. do they have any sort of "herding" instinct.
never herd of herding....catching a cow....yes. Thats where shocking comes in....

from me.....who else. tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »

They will bunch some up and then look for the catch. Singles are straight catch. I have a couple of 1/2 bloods I have used to catch cattle with. They will put a big grown cow on the ground and hold her for you.

Rodeo
Strike Dog

boar65

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 11:00:02 pm »

NOW  that's a nice dogo are ever thinking about breeding him, if you do then please let me know i'm  rodeo

Everytime you are running dogs or trapping hogs, every encounter is different. Got to love it. Please be safe! Wild hog will get you if given the chance!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: