April 19, 2024, 05:05:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Price of pups?  (Read 1450 times)
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:09:07 am »

I have never sold a dog and never planned on it but money is tight right now and a few extra bucks never hurts. I have a litter of 10 right now and I'm not gonna need to keep them all so I have considered selling 2 or 3. I just don't know what they're worth. I don't want to screw anyone and I don't want to give them away as I could always keep and use them. I've seen pups on the dog trade going for free on up to a few hundred bucks. I've had people asking to buy them but I can't come up with a price because I don't know.  What do y'all think? How do u price a pup that u can't gaurantee?

Master Gator
Curcross1987
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:14:02 am »

They are worth what you will take and the buyer will pay kinda hard to say
Bowhunter1994
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:21:23 am »

Do parents hunt?
What breed?
The way I see it - breed don't matter as long as they hunt. but other will pay more for pure breed

If you cant hang with the big dogs STAY ON THE PORCH.
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:45:58 am »

They are FL cur cow dogs but the 2 times I have taken them to the woods they have found and caught hogs. I'm just nervous about it because the old timers always said selling dogs is a good way to give yourself a bad name. No matter how good your dogs are there is always a chance of producing a cull. I can understand selling a proven dog if u need to but I have reservations about selling pups. I guess most people think its just a chance the buyer will have to take.

Master Gator
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:54:24 am »

Outside looking in seems most started dogs go for 300+-...depending on bloodline,papers,proven parents..but pups not shure...i dont think anyone will look at you bad if you sell one that does not turn out..most of the old timers(older than 40) that I look to to for knowledge know this and know when a grumpy buyer is talking smack...jmo

from me.....who else. tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:11:07 pm »

I guess I could always promise to buy it back if it turns out to be a cull. That would make sleep me sleep better at night knowing there wasn't a worthless dog out there with my name on it.

Master Gator
floridahogdoghunter
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 12:50:58 pm »

were you located?
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 12:53:30 pm »

I'm near Paris TX moved out here 4 years ago from St. Cloud

Master Gator
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 01:02:38 pm »

when you sell pups , first off make sure they are out of good working dogs second ask whatever you want or need for the pups . third don't worry about what others think or say .  I use to guaranty my pups till they were a year old and after a while I was confident in the breedings I quit .  I use to get 250.00 a pup at six weeks old pure or crossed now with everybody and their second cousin sally breeding and selling and giving away pups . it's hard to get a hundred bucks . so good luck and don't worry bout other folks . [ old timer over 40 wisdom  lol ] them shots and wormers and feed aren't free ya know  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:36 pm »

Thanks Halfbreed. That old timers dinosaur wisdom is valuable these days

Master Gator
Black Smith
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 11:23:24 pm »

Sell them for 150 tell the buyer if they don't work out you will give them there money back. then if someone bring it back at lets say six months old you broke even and now have a six month old to start hunting!!! But hope they work out for the buyer!!!
schoggetter
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:39:45 pm »

well i dont really know what there worth but i know around these parts in sc a fl cur pup seems to sell  for 150-200  and when guys around here have a litter they sell out quick  most the time within a day or two
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 01:42:33 am »

If it's a true Florida cur you ain't gonna have trouble selling them
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 06:18:15 am »

I figured around the $150-$200 mark seemed reasonable but I didn't want to screw someone or short change myself.

Master Gator
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 08:15:58 am »

Rooster, Don't worry about what people think. I sell a litter every year to help pay expenses. I get  450. bucks
all day long. I tell those that are interested about the parents and grand parents and it's up to them if they
want to buy a pup. Some folks buy them for regular old yard dogs, some for blood trailing dogs, I sold some to stock yards. I usually cut hog hunters a real good deal. I've even given pups to folks I've met on here.
I don't offer any guarantees. I'll offer references, but that's about it. It has a lot to do with the economy where you live as to how much folks are willing to pay. I completely understand your reservations to sell puppies but they are YOUR pups. If you don't want to sell them don't sell them. If you do, put a price on em
and move on.  I've poured cement slabs, purchased top of the line kennels, cut gear, paid vet bills, bought
boat motor, tracking collars, etc. with the money I made off of selling one litter a year. My dogs are nothing special,
but folks are always looking for pups.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 08:49:52 am »

I'm really wanting to buy or build a woods trailer I figured a few hundred bucks could give me a good start. My wife has other ideas. We haven't left this ranch in 3 years so she is driving me crazy to take a vacation. Here's a couple pics of pups they are 2 weeks today

Master Gator
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 09:38:05 am »

I think your price range of 150-200 is reasonable if you (the seller) the that the pups are well bred and have good chances of being dogs.  I think 150-200 is also reasonable for a buyer to pay if they know the pups are also well bred.  The problem is when they buyer does not know the seller or the seller's pups.  If I were selling pups off of my dogs I KNOW for sure they are worth 300...and they will be producers.  I would not expect for someone that does not know me to pay 300, that's a lot for a pup.

I would say if you feel like you have to have 200 a pup then ask for it, if you feel 200 is a little high, then go with your gut feeling.
floridahogdoghunter
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 03:56:26 pm »

I'm near Paris TX moved out here 4 years ago from St. Cloud
o 104 if you are you talking about st cloud in fl im not to far from there.. if you were closer id be interested good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: