April 25, 2024, 03:49:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weatherford ben dogs  (Read 9430 times)
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2009, 07:11:05 pm »

im trying to steer my new hunting buddy ( tennessee ) away from hounds , and towards curs! lol

im partial to the foundation dogs and would like to get some more in the neighborhood , that way  we  wont have to travel all over the world to get replacements when one is lost .

i ve had 4 of these dogs and was pleased with 3 of them , one was the best cowdog i ever used , one was just recently killed buy a hog 1/4 mile from where he was turned loose and my new pup is wanting to work at 2 1/2 months .

how many of you use this line of curs ?

those of you that use this line or have hunted with them tell us what you like /dislike compared to other lines .
hogtied
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:26:02 pm »

I think they are good dogs, only had one, he was catchin everything that squeeled at 4 months old, runnin with the big dogs at 6 months old, and finding hogs at less than a year... he was just very very rough... he also did not suit me size wise, he was average height, about 45 pounds... I expected a bigger dog with more legs from what his parents looked like. He caught on quick and learned his job at an early age and learned it good, he loved it.... The size was not really an issue... the roughness was... just my experience with them, mayb I had a throw back or somethin... or mayb they are all that way its hard to say since thats the only one had or hunted. Even a bad yella dog is better than a good hound Grin Grin Just jokin hound hunters, I had my share of good hounds too... I finally saw the light though Grin

may your life be free from trouble, like a slick catch and a double!!!
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:43:08 pm »

thanks hogtied , your check is in the mail  Wink Wink Wink
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:05:57 pm »

I have a buddy that has a double bred W Ben female. She will hunt and find a hog but has no bite at all. He kept talking about 4-6 hour long "races". I went and hunted with him and hunted just her to see what she could do. She left and bayed a couple of hundred yards away. Then shut up and bayed a different place. She kept doing this, then finally kept barking but moving. Didn't sound like she was track barking though. This went on for hours, she kept moving and we just couldn't get close to her to start with.

We finally drove around and got ahead of her and I slipped into the swamp. She was walking next to a 125-150 lb hog and barking at him as he walked around. He had figured out the dog wasn't going to bite him and was just going where he pleased. Every now and then he would run at the dog, then just trot off.

We turned another dog to her, got the hog stopped and caught him. But, the female had been on this hog for over 4 hours.......thus the long "races".

I have heard of other W Ben dogs being gritty,like above,  I just haven't seen any myself.

I did know one guy that went to Randy Wrights house and bought 11 W Ben dogs at one time and paid a pile of money for them. Only one dog out of the 11 ever found a hog for him and that one hung itself on a  chain......so he wasn't real happy with those  dogs.

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
Caughtandhobbled
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 10:12:48 pm »

John, the pup I offered you is Ben Weatherford bred. The pups were working thier tales off at a very early age, I have video of "Jr" baying at barely 2 months old (@ 7 months he hunts hard). Bob "Jr's" brother is a house dog that sits, stays and will give me a hand shake plus retrieve. Needless to say I have too much at risk to hunt him (kids and wife love him more than me).... I wish you lived closer and I would gladly share a great line with you...Later Brother

Bennie     
  <><
dgdawsonBMCs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:22:30 pm »

I use them out of his Weatherford Ben's son Yellow Jacket...The Jack line is very good on hogs, but some are a little too gritty and you have to teach them to back up early or they will be dead by a year old..My dogs are all in the 50-70 pound range, which is what I like..Really, when speaking of Weatherford's Ben dogs you are talking about 40 or so litters of dogs...They can come in many different packages and styles, depending on the females they were bred to.  I hunt with some guys that have used alot of them and pretty much culled all but the Jack line..Now, I want to be clear that I haven't owned anything but Jack dogs, so really can't speak about the others from personal experience...The jack dogs I have bred will start working very early....Never had one (out of 20 or so) that wouldn't bay a hog...Some of them make better find dogs than others, some get out pretty far, and some are short to medium range, and some are really gritty... Very athletic dogs that are high energy..

MY personal opinion of Randy Wright is that he had some awesome dogs in the early years, then he started breeding to everything and from what I have heard (only rumor, as I don't know him) he wasn't proving his dogs....In short, I would not buy a hog dog prospect from Randy Wright, as I have heard too many horror stories....However, there are plenty of people who got some of that stock back in that day that have jam up dogs...

The only thing I have bad to say about the Jack dogs is that some of them are a little more dog aggressive than I would like.  You have to be carful when breeding them or you will have to replace a bunch of dogs (if you hunt alot).   Grin Grin Grin Grin

hogtied
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 01:28:58 am »

some are a little too gritty and you have to teach them to back up early or they will be dead by a year old..

that was the case with mine, he never learned, but yall are right, i have videos of him baying and trying to catch at 3 months in the woods, he learned fast, just never learned to back off and bay... he was not agressive towards dogs tho... Every line and every litter is gonna have different traits from time to time... mine would have been hell on wheels if he was not so gritty, and believe me i tried everything to stop him from it

may your life be free from trouble, like a slick catch and a double!!!
curdogsforhogs
Bay Dog

GOLDEN CREEK CATAHOULAS AND BMCS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 03:17:20 am »

I have a 16 month old Bne dog I traded a cat gyp for when he was 10 months old from a boy who used him for cows. Bill got a little rough on the cows  so the guy wanted a little less agressive cat gyp of mine to use. Best trade I evere made. I showed him his first hog and he went in on the 200lb boar with intent to catch but was made to stand back and bay. Won Puppy bay at field trial at 10 months old. Next month was in on his first hog and got cut good but never let go. Since that day he has been on every hog we have caught since.  He came from John Algiers and South River Curs in Fayetteville NC but is out of Randall Wrights stock.. He is gritty and will catch small less agressive hogs and will try on rough hogs. I like the grit even though I know he will pay for it sooner or later. Here in the Mountains of Sc we need dogs to stop the hogs from running... Bill is medium to long range, excellent nose, totally silent on track and when the hog breaks, and is not dog agressive at all. best natured dog I have ever owned..  I wish I had a yard full him and I am working towards just that. Just had a litter of pups from him and my ladner gyp. Keeping two male pups an d sold the rest.
[/img] Soggy Bottom Bill
Ginger (Ladner/1/8th Kemmer)Bandit

curdogsforhogs
AW
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:23:11 am »

I have a pair of foundation dogs and have hunted with others and I like the Rio Grande Blondie blood myself.

tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:52 am »

jdt,  I would like to get my hands on a few myself, that would be a little closer. i have never owned one but aint heard nothin but good bout them. there was a feller called bout some pups i had the other day, said he knew somebody that had some weatherford ben pups for sale in NC, let me see if i can find his number and give him a call to find out where they are, and if there are any left.