April 20, 2024, 07:55:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bear Dogs?  (Read 5062 times)
jassenswisher1974
Catch Dog

"It takes all kinds."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 05:37:06 pm »

Cajun,
Could you post some hog pics of the same Plotts?
swish

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 10:49:09 pm »

Dont know if this is the right place for them Jassen but here u go.
Had two guests from Sweden that came to hunt with me. Here is a pic. of him & the video of the catch. My plott Spud & Dancer, with my friend Charlies cur ran this hog a couple of miles & we found them bayed on the bank. Charlie turned to BMC pups loose to bay & that was to much for spud. He had enough & caught. spud is in the bear pic. with the orange collar.

Riding down the bayou & got a good strike. turned the dogs loose & they caught a good sow & then relayed on another one. by the time we tied her, we could hear the dogs catch another one. About a 175# sow. gypsy(brown brindle) was on the bear in the second pic.

Two of three boars we caught one morning. The boar on the right 3 of my plotts caught & the boar on the left we released.

This boar killed my female Jag.(a pretty nice beardog)

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
jassenswisher1974
Catch Dog

"It takes all kinds."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 05:27:47 am »

Thanks Mike,
It is so awesome to see when a pack of hounds can tree bear and bay hogs. Hope you had a good 4th!
swish

jassenswisher1974
Catch Dog

"It takes all kinds."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 05:37:20 am »

p.s. Cajun, This thread started with a question about adding a 1/4 bulldog to a Plott to make it a better bear dog. I want to make the point is that you have pure bred Plotts, You acquired some dogs that did what you wanted. You bred in a manner that didnt need an outcross of bulldog to get the results you wanted on bear AND hog. Thats awesome breeding. i hope i take some good notes.
swish

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 12:53:25 pm »

Jason, Thanks for the kind words. There are a lot of plott hunters & breeders on here that have had remarkable success on both.
  Seth Mcalex comes to mind. He was practically born into the Weems bred dogs & has kept that line pure, along with Mark Mckenzie & James Brown.
  Not getting off the subject because it was about breeding 1/4 bulldog into plotts for bear. I personally would not do it, but for hogs, I have friends who have some awesome hogdogs with a 1/4 pit mixed in their curs & hounds.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 03:11:01 pm »

Agree with with Cajun all the way.

Here is that video.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-tz9Vorys&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Here's another one wouldn't tree.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8rNGr-9JnM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I don't see any reason to add pit to a bear dog. Thats just asking for trouble.
  A real plott don't need any grit added.

Powered by
* Dr.Enuf *
COA
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 11:43:24 pm »

I kno this a bear dog conversation but I hunt hog behind my buddys 3/4 plott 1/4 & I sure as heck never remember findin or chasin after a hog even if he won't tree!!! Just sayin. Good luck
COA
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 11:52:28 pm »

Couldn't spit it all out. Basically what I was sayin was if u find , then chase the bear before then call for the dogs u may need a cross! I don't kno anything bout bear huntin tho. Good nite
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 12:16:41 pm »

COA, I think I am following u. What you are saying is your buddy's dog catches the hog as soon as he gets on him & holds him. We'll I have pure plotts like that too & it will work for a while until that dog meets the wrong hog.lol Of course if the dog has enough help I have seen several dogs manhandle even a big boar, or at least until the ears give out.
  That will not work on a bear. If a dog clamps down on a bear & tries to hold him, he is going to be in for a world of hurt or worse. Now I have seen plotts stretch a bear & hold him & every year I know of dogs that have killed smaller bear. 150# & under. number 2 happens. My dogs have been in on it & no bearhunter likes to see it happen but for the most part if a decent size bear backs up to something it is a stalemate & all a dog has to do is stay bayed until the hunters arrive.
  Hoghunting as well as bearhunting, there is such a fine line between to much grit & not enough. Like I said in my earlier post, I have seen some awful nice hogdogs that were a 1/4 pit.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
sethmcalex
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 01:12:02 pm »

Good dogs learn how to fight a bear and a hog different.  I have a top female that will try to yoke about any hog, especially if she is fresh or hasn't been hunted in a while.  She has paid the price for this several times.  Most recently a couple of weeks ago she got cut all the way through her cheek and hit an artery inside her mouth.  She just almost bleed out on me.  This dog has virtually no respect for a hog.  However, that same female has the utmost respect for a bear.  I get way more dogs hurt on hogs than bears, but when a bear gets a hold of a dog, there is going to be some damage most of the time.

Seth McAlexander

Palo Duro Plott Dogs
jassenswisher1974
Catch Dog

"It takes all kinds."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 07:03:23 pm »

Seth,
We need to tallk pedigrees sometime. Ive got some Dale Burnside bred Weems dogs. Im pretty happy with them.
Swish

NChoghunter
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 07:12:55 pm »

This bear was 780lbs 2nd biggest in NC he would not tree even with 25 head of hounds after him

hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 07:41:11 pm »

This bear was 780lbs 2nd biggest in NC he would not tree even with 25 head of hounds after him

Thats a big dude.
I hope to see the day we may be able to hunt bear here in LA. with some dogs. I figure I am just dreaming though.

Lets go we burning daylight
sethmcalex
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 08:10:15 pm »

Seth,
We need to tallk pedigrees sometime. Ive got some Dale Burnside bred Weems dogs. Im pretty happy with them.
Swish

Any time Swish

Seth McAlexander

Palo Duro Plott Dogs
COA
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 09:50:31 pm »

I gotcha Seth. I was just having a good time with that video. No harm intended. Yes sir we do talk about sooner or later he ain't gonna make it out of 1 of those battles. He will bay em up if he can't catch them so maybe that helps keep him around. Take care
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 08:49:21 am »

Here in Florida they just catch and release them! Huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMgIIZrvxjU

http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/wildlife/near-record-black-bear-captured-in-lake-county/2122633

We are working hard for a bear season! They are becoming a real P.I.A.
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 08:51:44 am »

That is a nice bear NC Hog hunter
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: