April 25, 2024, 04:22:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info on old East Texas Yeller lines and owners.  (Read 3899 times)
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2013, 01:38:24 am »

I have been piecing together the lines on my Yeller dogs I originally started with in 1989.

Have spoken with alot of folks including plenty of old timers that have assisted me in linking dogs back 15 generations now.

But as always...there has to be a stopping point where info runs out due to timeframes and limited info of lost lines. 

Wanted to throw out some names and timeframes of the folks I have traced too but stalled out to see if anyone has some concrete info that could assist in goin back a lil further.

Any info would be appreciated greatly.

Dan Tullis pre 1955. Dog called Yella
Alvin Brown -Dog called Socks mid 70's
Ronnie Goolsby- source of dogs aquired in 1968
TC Pouland- Dog named Spanky, Elvira, King James
Clyde Ashcraft
Joe Tatum
Otto Thornton pre 50's
Simon Womack- Dog called Smokey
Gus Haney-  Dog named Bee
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11:31 am »

I don't know much but can relay to you what I was told about Ashcraft and Thorton. Ashcraft was from around Brazoria and was known to have excelent dogs. I was told they carried alot of Taylor blood. Taylor got alot of dogs out of deep east Texas and bred them with his name on them. The Thortons dogs show up in alot of old pedigrees. The family kept and bred a line of dogs for many years that were known to be top of the line. I was told both lines were used hard and culled hard.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
wine6978
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:54:37 am »

Well I do not know a whole lot, but I know I have the last Ashcraft bred dog... John and his sons quit hunting a few years back and kept this dog just in case they got back in... He gave him to me and he is doing amazing. This is the Ashcraft family from around Van Vleck, Bay City area in Matagorda county. I will talk to john about Clyde and try to figure more about the dogs.
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:16:28 pm »

Thank you Bob.  Alot of these lines I am stumped due to the folks being deceased and their lines along with them.

Wine:    when you talk to him ask about a dog Clyde gave or sold to a Jimmy Fouraces. Unknown name of the dog should have been early 70's to late 60's. To make sure its the same guys.

Thanks to both of you.
Peteywlisomhogdawgs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:35:17 pm »

the ronnie goolsby your talkin about is he from around the crockett area
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:51:21 pm »

Yes thas him.
wine6978
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 01:59:50 pm »

It is the same Clyde. I just talked to his grandson an little and have talked to his son, John, a lot about their dogs. The dog I have is the last of the line, I am going to figure out what John and Matt did with the rest of the dogs. As far as I know John just told me he quit hunting and kept a few dogs for his son. Matt stopped hunting and got out, a good gyp got stole. I have Rowdy which is the last of their line of dogs. John told me when he gave him to me that he was it and breed him to my best. Well my best just came out of heat, so he is penned with what is in heat now (a promising showing young gyp). The I will breed him to my second best gyp, she has alot of east tx blood in her. I want to keep this line of dogs going, because I hear they where the bees knees in the day. I just have what I have to work with. Here is Rowdy.

wine6978
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 02:14:41 pm »

Clyde passed away 7 years ago. I will talk to John and see what information I can find out for you!
Peteywlisomhogdawgs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 02:16:44 pm »

ok i was just wondering does anybody have any butch aronlds line of dogs
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 02:21:21 pm »

Very nice.

Familiar confirmations .......Looks like a thicket bred dog.

Nice legs and very athletic built frame.  Love his head and ear conformity also.
How does he hunt?

Also did you ask if he remembered the Jimmy Fouraces getting a dog from them years ago?
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 02:25:13 pm »

ok i was just wondering does anybody have any butch aronlds line of dogs

At one point I thought some of mine went back to Butches but I was incorrect.

Ray Modisette bred a gyp back to Butches Tiger dog not to long ago.
wine6978
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 02:34:23 pm »

I personally love the way he hunts. He isn't like those dogs that will go 2 miles looking for a hog, but that's not how I hunt also. He is more of a medium range dog, but once he hits a trail his in it for the long haul. I have had to cut him off 2.5 hours into one hog picked him up about 3 miles from where I dropped him (I mean as a crow flies 3 miles... he ran like 7-8 to get there). He opens up once they break, not like wide open, just enough to let em know he is in it and ain't backing down!!! Strong loud bawling kinda bark. I know that when he goes down if a hog is in the area or has been recently he is gonna find it!!! I am going to talk to John sooner or later. He works about 40,000 acres worth of cattle so he is a busy man. I would like to get more dogs like Rowdy. Just straight up hog dogs, no BS, just find em and bay em kinda dogs!!! It sucks that he is it in the Ashcraft's dogs, but hopefully I will be able to keep what they had going!!!
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 02:44:11 pm »

Well from what the lines show.  These dogs go to some of Clydes 10 generations back on one side but it goes cold on that tree after Clyde. 

Go back 15 generations on the Otto Thornton end but peter out in the late 40's.
Peteywlisomhogdawgs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 02:48:01 pm »

ok him and my dad use to work cows alot togther but all of dads dogs that he got from butch died before my time and i want one to cross with some other dogs that i know of that comes from that kind of bloodlines
wine6978
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 02:56:51 pm »

OK I'll talk to John, Clyde's son, and see if He doesn't have any information on their dogs in the beginning, and where they got dogs from. Matt, Clyde's grandson, is supposed to come hunting on Saturday if he ain't working. I'll pick his brain on it for whatever he knows about them dogs. I know from talking to John before they had a pretty dang simple "program," "Keep the best, and cull the rest." They fed what worked and what didn't work fed the vultures. I'll ask John if he knows anything about his dad giving/selling a dog to that guy you mentioned. Do you have any dog names for me to throw out there to him? Them boys have been through some dogs I'm here to tell you. So anything that could spark up a memory might help me out.
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 03:29:56 pm »

No dont have dog names on either of the two. Just know that Jimmy had got a dog from Clyde and the offspring was identified in our ped tree. Can probably get the dogs name that was off of Jimmy's dog but might not be any help for you.  At the least I  would like to know what timeframe Clyde kept these dogs and who was the root source of where his original dogs came from.... and the beginning year of his keep.
wine6978
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 03:33:19 pm »

10-4. When I can get John to sit down and talk a little I'll let you know.
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 03:36:58 pm »

ok him and my dad use to work cows alot togther but all of dads dogs that he got from butch died before my time and i want one to cross with some other dogs that i know of that comes from that kind of bloodlines

From my understanding Butch still has some dogs but only one or two that came from his original stuff.  
Think Ray kept some pups off of the Tiger dog cross but uncertain. His daughter is on the site ...you could shoot her a Pm.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 04:31:50 pm »

It is the same Clyde. I just talked to his grandson an little and have talked to his son, John, a lot about their dogs. The dog I have is the last of the line, I am going to figure out what John and Matt did with the rest of the dogs. As far as I know John just told me he quit hunting and kept a few dogs for his son. Matt stopped hunting and got out, a good gyp got stole. I have Rowdy which is the last of their line of dogs. John told me when he gave him to me that he was it and breed him to my best. Well my best just came out of heat, so he is penned with what is in heat now (a promising showing young gyp). The I will breed him to my second best gyp, she has alot of east tx blood in her. I want to keep this line of dogs going, because I hear they where the bees knees in the day. I just have what I have to work with. Here is Rowdy.

Looks a lot like a Florida bred dog. Does he catch

Catchin hogs cracker style
C L
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 04:33:21 pm »

In 1988, Dr. Harrison bred a gyp to a dog that Clyde Ashcraft had named Bigfoot. He told Dr. H that Bigfoot's mother was Pearl and that both were from Taylor dogs. Also about that time Dr. H got a pup from a litter sired by Bigfoot bred to his dam Pearl. We called the pup Bubba and he was a really nice dog and sired some good pups used on cattle and hogs. According to the pedigree info from Mr. Ashcraft, Bubba's coefficient of inbreeding was about 31%.

Charles Long, Overton, TX
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: