March 28, 2024, 04:02:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ?  (Read 507 times)
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
?
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:06:14 pm »

Man....stuff happens sometimes that leaves a big "?" In your brain, lol.

I didn't want to jack his thread so I started this one.

Reuben it seems has made a BIG decision in the direction he is taking with his dogs. I don't personally know Reuben but have talked with him enough and read enough of his posts to know that I respect him and that decision didn't come lightly.

Hog populations, hog "?personalities?", the size of the land and the terrain can all play major roles when it comes to PERCEIVED SUCCESS in our chosen sport, but the bigger role I guess is the role our dogs play. That being said.....what is YOUR ......hmmm.....your ?limit? Is that the word I'm looking for? No...I don't think that's it.....

Hmmmm.....this may take a bit more thought and its late....ill pick this back up tomorrow.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 06:39:12 am »

I have never been one to care, one way or another how a man chooses to hunt....what kind of dogs he runs. In not gonna try to tell a man my way is the ONLY way or that "If you want to catch hogs, you need to do it this way".
Now.....I do hold to a specific way of thinking concerning myself and my dogs and I will work towards the goals I have set to make MY way work at least to a degree that is acceptable to me. I guess you could say I hold to a specific Ideology.

IDEOLOGY -

An ideology is a set of conscious and unconscious ideas that constitute one's goals, expectations, and actions. An ideology is a comprehensive vision, a way of looking at things.

Again....I have no problem with how anyone else does things concerning their style and their dogs....this is just my ideology.

Gotta get to work....more to follow.

KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:14 am »

I don't own a chunk of land that i need the hogs cleared off of and i don't hunt hogs as a business or to supplement my income. I hunt with dogs because I thoroughly enjoy it. I REALY enjoy all aspects of the hunt but especially seeing the dogs work...from hunt to strike to catch. If the only way to catch hogs is to dump dogs then run to the squeal....honestly...I'm not interested. Luckily  Grin I don't think that's the case or it ever will be.

My ideal dogs are strike and bay dogs...not loose...not kamikaze rough but just solid dogs. Dogs that will sit a hog down. Have him spinning on his butt.....protecting his nuts or backed up into some brush. The kind of dogs that DON'T LET a hog break. Impossible? Ehh...I don't think so. A tall order....heck yeah...for sure. But that's what I want....and to be honest....id rather spend the next 30 years trying for dogs like that than alter my preferred hunting style......even if it means I lose a few hogs.

Again...by no means am I slamming anyone else's hunting style or preference in dogs.

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:28:47 am »

Gotcha man I feel bout the same grew up hunting coons with pe paw late 70 s till 90 s he new his stuff so when I started running hogs thought the same stuff would work but its really close but far away. I was use to tail gate down dogs gone but hogs don't tree they keep running lol
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:20:04 pm »

As a breeder of some kind of dog are another for the last 30 years I can tell you it is very very very hard to get the perfect dog .  It makes no difference what type of dogs you are breeding to get that one in a million kind of dog that can do it all may only happen once in a life time of breeding maybe two if you are dang lucky.  Then sometimes you may be a breeder for many many years and never get that perfect dog you been sweating for over a lot of years only to have someone give you a dog that is exactly what you been trying to breed for , for the last 25/30 yrs aint that a hoot .

No one way is the best way period .  Its what way that fits you is the best way and your best way may not be the next man's best way are anyway .  Its all different because we are all different .  I myself have said a lot of things on here and I am passionate about it because it is the way that fits me and what I want , sometimes it may seem like what am trying to say is my way is the only way but it is not its just the best way I have found to get things done on my end.  Same goes for everybody.

I been farting with these dogs now a long time have I found the golden key to the perfect dog are dogs why hell no .  Am just like yall breeding and trying to find that sweet spot right in the middle and then even sometimes , what I think is the sweet spot don't always mean me and my dogs get the hog .  Matter of fact that sweet spot aint so sweet sometimes when a big bad boar hands you and your dogs your ass in your hands and leaves a SOUR TASTE in my mouth and my dogs and that my friends is what keeps us trying to get better and better and better.  There is always a hog out there that is going to hand you and your dogs your asses in your hands ,  it just is no matter how good your dogs are ,  are even how good you think you are.

I to , would love to have a yard full of dogs that are sit down dogs ,  dogs that do it perfect almost every time but that is just not the case and that is what keeps us all striving on and on .

Matter of fact it is a whole lot eaiser to just go catch are run ,  because that perfect dog is like trying to catch a GHOST !  One min you think you got him caught and the next min you are back at drawing board trying to figure out how to catch him again !

Perfect dogs are Ghost they come when they want and they leave when they want its just our job to try and get them to hang around a little longer and teach us something.

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: