April 25, 2024, 12:49:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hogs VS Your pack?  (Read 3012 times)
txsteve85
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:28:07 pm »

Just curious.......
How many races end with your pack on top?
Ratio or percentage...How many times after striking do you stop the hog or get outrun?
I'd say I catch 60% of hogs we strike...where I hunt pigs flat out run.
SnF bucking bulls
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:54:06 am »

Id say we catch about 85% of the hogs we strike . Yeah they run but between the bottom and grit we usually get em stopped fairly quick. But i do use a cut kit quite often.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:56:27 am »

This what I have experienced Steve.   Back when I was running really ruff try you and catch you type of dogs such as Cj, War Dog , Old Blu , Black Jack and that bunch it was really really high 85/90%  .  But to do that we paid a price of getting dogs cut up and so fourth sometimes worse.  Also  Just because they were ruff didn't make them short ranged dogs they would fly and we would fly with them because you know you got to be there when the chit hits the fan with those kinds of dogs are else .  These dogs After a few rounds of short med and long and you didn't catch them they were going to were the hogs were you just had to go with them didn't matter which direction = trespassing and ticket .  After getting tired of so many years of doctoring dogs up and yes even worse I decided to try the other way.  So I knocked some grit out of them using a certain dog I had .  You could breed this dog to a bad bulldog gyp and half the liter was not going to even touch the hog that's how he would knock the grit out of things but put range and everything else in .

That ended up in chasing hogs .  Knocked to much grit out of them they were good med long range dogs but the problem was if the big hog decided he wanted to run the looser dogs could not seem to stop them, result running them till there lungs fell out and we got some and lost some but the distances double tripled and more .  50/50 maybe 50/60 but I doubt it . Not many cut up dogs but not near as many hogs.  Sure some are going to say well they should have grabbed the nuts and this and that have heard it all before but saying it, doing it  and having a dog that does it to perfection is another thing and far between if you got one you better hang on to it that's for damn sure.  There is not to many experts nut dogs at this are we would not all be talking about running hogs .   Am just not going to chase big boar hogs anymore for two three four five miles before he wears out and sets up and bays if I ain't got to  .

So

Went back to adding some grit that is what I got to day.  Medium kinda ruff most 200 lbs not a problem for my dogs catch most them all day long then you get up over and around 250 and more they just cannot hold them a lot of the times if the hog that big wants to run he is gonna run unless you got him wearing to ear rings and one pulling his man hood out.  Mine now are ruff but not stupid they try to stop the bigger hogs and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't we get our share but not were I want them to be.  This is without the Fla dog just my old dogs.  60/70 %  Throw him into the mix and the % goes up .  My dogs will all pile in and help when one has the balls to catch and hold on a big boar hog like this catch dog are any other .    

So now I got a gen of dogs on the ground that are coming up that should put me back to were I was at when all this  crap started.

Moral of the story if you are catching big hogs and stopping bigger hogs and a lot of them for the most part you might want to think twice about messing with what you got .

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
SnF bucking bulls
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:23 am »

Yeah the gritt  in my opinion raises the chance of getting the hog caught. But like txhd said its no fun watching your dogs hurt or doctoring them up. Raises your chance on loosing a good dog. But thats just the way its been workimg for me
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 01:23:26 am »

Yeah the gritt  in my opinion raises the chance of getting the hog caught. But like txhd said its no fun watching your dogs hurt or doctoring them up. Raises your chance on loosing a good dog. But thats just the way its been workimg for me

Yes sir ! That was the hardest part and loosing some to, it was tuff man .   The last straw after so long that made me change my mind and go looser was when I seen a well known vest no names mention get cut clean off a dog and from front to back  like you took a straight razor to it and you can imagine the rest .  Cory , Tom and Kyle all witnessed it also .  Unreal. I went looser but have regretted I done it ever since .
That's just me everybody has there on ways.

SnF bucking bulls
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:28:20 am »

Yes sir. When i own a gyp thats alittle looser baying dog but has the hunt i like im gonna breed her to my males. Just havent found that dog yet. My goal is to end up with med range dogs with alot of wind. Grit, but the grit to stop one not so catchy like i got now. Thats where im tryin to get somewhere down the road
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:25:43 am »

100%

Cuz when they get smoked, I just act like they were just really fast and talking to each other  laugh

Nah they get smoked a lot, but I like a good challenge.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 09:12:22 am »

Hey Steve I can say one thing for sure before my red dog got sidelined we didn't miss hardly any pigs that we struck. And with flash if they ran he will stay with them for miles till we or the other dogs can get there these pups coming up ain't there yet but to get back to it I think rougher dogs catch more pig they just take damage
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:27:34 am »

Steve that black pup I gave you should be just about what you are looking for .  You know his daddy and you seen his momma she was just as bad before I retired her to brood .

Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 12:31:05 pm »

I don't want to start a war about rough dogs vs loose dogs because the way i see it I don't think grit has anything to do with it. They have to hav bottom. I'm not trying to bash any dogs because I've caught hogs with gritty dogs as well as loose dogs. But if a hog wants to run, then it's gonna run. The dogs that will catch that hog that runs are the ones that hav the bottom to stay hooked. Weather it be gritty dogs, loose dogs, or a poodle, if that dog stays with that hog till the end you'll get your hands on it. I've been on my fair share of races and I've also caught hogs 10 yds from they're bed. If you havnt been smoked by a hog then your time is coming its going to happen to everyone. Ill hunt with a loose dog just as fast as I will a gritty one because my dogs hav no grit at all and I still catch hogs. My buddies hav shorter ranged gritty dogs and I catch hogs with them to.

Seth Gillespie
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 12:34:42 pm »

So I'm not saying there is a right or wrong style of dog out there (wich I could be very wrong) just from my experience the dog has to stay hooked no matter wat

Seth Gillespie
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 12:44:34 pm »

I don't want to start a war about rough dogs vs loose dogs because the way i see it I don't think grit has anything to do with it. They have to hav bottom. I'm not trying to bash any dogs because I've caught hogs with gritty dogs as well as loose dogs. But if a hog wants to run, then it's gonna run. The dogs that will catch that hog that runs are the ones that hav the bottom to stay hooked. Weather it be gritty dogs, loose dogs, or a poodle, if that dog stays with that hog till the end you'll get your hands on it. I've been on my fair share of races and I've also caught hogs 10 yds from they're bed. If you havnt been smoked by a hog then your time is coming its going to happen to everyone. Ill hunt with a loose dog just as fast as I will a gritty one because my dogs hav no grit at all and I still catch hogs. My buddies hav shorter ranged gritty dogs and I catch hogs with them to.
I agree. I like loose dogs. Let the catchdogs do their job

Catch em, tie em, drag em out!
txsteve85
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 12:47:56 pm »

This topic is not about rough or loose...its simply the ratio of pigs that get away, if you wanna add what kind of pack you run that's great too.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 01:18:05 pm »

I agree with the bottom and I run loose and rough dogs together works for Me my style ain't for every one but there has to be a methed I got one that will catch then the others follow her but with out the rough one they will bay run bay run till they stop it or lose it and that puts my lead dog on his own he has the bottom. If I had two more of him I could do as your talking but I don't hunt 10000 acre ranches if you don't get them stopped in mile or so you got trouble but I under stand what your saying good luck to any style
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:54 pm »

I'm not speaking of just my dogs...I havnt hunted by myself in months. I've hunted with Blake most often over the past few months and we havnt had a dry run in a WHILE...so the dogs are getting their chances. Hunting these crops...it seems like we're hitting a lot of sounders so it's kind of hard to judge...dogs may lose one hog but pick up another.

The hogs that have went a good distance it seems like we seal the deal on usually. That last hunt we caught one after about 500 yards but those two big sows took us about 900 yards more and we couldn't close the deal there. I'd say that was handler error though...the dogs had them stopped.

I'd say over the last 6 months were up around 85-90% easy.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 01:55:04 pm »

Kevin, you raise a question in my mind I've wanted to ask for a while.

How far does it take for y'all to think your on a "runner"
Some folks are calling a runner one that goes 5-800 yards and bays, others in different parts of the state are seeing MILES AT A TIME GETTING RUN.

Our grains don't have huge populations and the only woods for miles are super thick strips between Grainfeilds. These hogs are traveling in some instances several miles to eat them back to bed. Me and Josh's dog are hitting sign and hunting it about a mile a lot of times before bumping that hog, once they get up, they have often run 3-6 miles of total track before either losing the dogs or baying. That crap makes for some hard dog work when as soon as they know dogs are coming they are running.

The big boar I put on Facebook a few days ago had already been running from my dogs when I got lucky and happened to be on his track with Josh's dogs, I litteraly turned his dogs loose ON THE RUNNIN BOAR HOGS FART DUST and he still made it another 8/10ths of a mile to a creek before he ran plum out of gas!!!

Fresh packing has been our strategy lately to kill off these bad runners but the dogs have got to be able to huff and puff and blow his lungs out if there gonna get him bayed.

We're pretty sure Josh's dogs were on his ears letting him know about it the whole last mile!

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 02:07:22 pm »

Me and Loftin had one only run 5-600 yards the other day I thought something was wrong lol
t.wilbanks
Hog Doom

Trenton Wilbanks Daingerfield,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 02:11:52 pm »

Yep, sure wish our runners only ran half a mile... Usually during the winter, at the first bark we start gathering wood for a fire...  Grin
txsteve85
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 02:20:08 pm »

I'm not speaking of just my dogs...I havnt hunted by myself in months. I've hunted with Blake most often over the past few months and we havnt had a dry run in a WHILE...so the dogs are getting their chances. Hunting these crops...it seems like we're hitting a lot of sounders so it's kind of hard to judge...dogs may lose one hog but pick up another.

The hogs that have went a good distance it seems like we seal the deal on usually. That last hunt we caught one after about 500 yards but those two big sows took us about 900 yards more and we couldn't close the deal there. I'd say that was handler error though...the dogs had them stopped.

I'd say over the last 6 months were up around 85-90% easy.

Your reply doesn't count lol there's too many hogs at Blakes place ..we've only had one dry run out there and they bay up way to easy there.
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »

I agree. I like loose dogs. Let the catchdogs do their job
I didn't mean for it to seem like I liked loose dogs better. I don't care wat kind of dogs are on the ground just as long as they put pork on the table. I just run loose dogs cus that's how I was taught and the kinda dogs I had an opportuntity to get wen I started but I catch hogs behind rough dogs to I just don't want them myself cus of vet bills lol. I got to rambling on and didnt realize I was kinda off topic from wat Steve was asking. To get back on topic we catch 90% of the hogs we strike. Just depends on the pressure the hogs hav had. Sometimes we chase them for a mile or two and sometimes we catch them 10 yds from their bed. I go by myself alot with just one loose dog and a lever gun and shot a boar that was laying in his wallow one time. And I've also had to walk for 2 miles. It just depends on the hog you strike.

Seth Gillespie
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: