March 29, 2024, 01:02:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good books for hog doggers?  (Read 2557 times)
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 06:18:20 pm »

All of the Ben Lilly books are good. He was a famous bear and cat hunter from North Louisiana.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 06:26:10 pm »

All of the Ben Lilly books are good. He was a famous bear and cat hunter from North Louisiana.

Let me try this again. I googled Ben Lilly and Wow, what a fascinating character. Here is what Wikipedia has
written about him.
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Lilly

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
Swine-Stalker
Alpha Dog

Cody Everett

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:23 pm »

If I remember correctly it was Ben Lilly that took Teddy Roosevelt to kill a bear. I think it happened up around Tensas if my memory serves me right. At one time I was a big time historic hunter buff and read up on him, Fred Bear, Earnest Hemingway and a couple injuns... It was some good stuff

We'll all be equal under the grass, God's got a heaven for country trash

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work
for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
318hoghunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 12:31:23 am »

Holt collier's book is another good read
Coady Curbow
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 01:53:27 pm »

If I remember correctly it was Ben Lilly that took Teddy Roosevelt to kill a bear. I think it happened up around Tensas if my memory serves me right. At one time I was a big time historic hunter buff and read up on him, Fred Bear, Earnest Hemingway and a couple injuns... It was some good stuff

Ben Lilly took Teddy Roosevelt hunting, but after a couple of weeks of treeing nothing left Teddy with other members of the hunting party.  The dogs finally bayed a bear and one of the black men with the party roped it so Teddy could shoot it.  Teddy didn't have the heart to shoot it under those circumstanses.  The story was told when he got back to the city, and some stuffed bears were made during Teddy's next campaign.  This is how the "Teddy Bear" came about.
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 11:04:52 pm »

Wow I am almost finished with Newton Hyde's book "Love, Live to Hunt the Hog" it is fantastic!! I love reading books about guys that hunt like I do and for the same reasons!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: