March 28, 2024, 05:26:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dog aggression at feeding .  (Read 802 times)
matt1969
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2013, 07:11:39 pm »

I have 2 catahoula American bull dog pups (brothers)and one is always wanting to be HNIC .there 5 months old and the fights ain't bad so I let them work it out  hoping they come to some agreement .I've kick his ass and had shock coller on him but he don't learn .
Now I know dogs are always like this around food .I got a Beagle that takes on my pits if food is around ,but I think this one puppy is always looking for a excuse to bite other pup.if there at gate wanting petting he goes crazy and attacks other pup.and the one getting bullied is bigger and loves  a hog and ain't scared of anything .he just lets other pup bite him .
Any ideas on getting some peice between them.
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:25:07 pm »

Man I know you are asking the question about how to get piece in between them.  Other than separating them, I don't have a good answer.  I will tell you based on experience, overly aggressive dogs end up fighting later, whether it be at a bay, or in a dog box.  I don't (and if I were you) I would not tolerate this for very long.  The best hunting dogs are focused on hunting, not fighting.  If I had an overly aggressive dog, I would not put up with it long.  Overly aggressive dogs interrupt learning and behavior of other dogs and should be culled IMMEADIATELY!
brad s
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 07:51:01 pm »

Man I know you are asking the question about how to get piece in between them.  Other than separating them, I don't have a good answer.  I will tell you based on experience, overly aggressive dogs end up fighting later, whether it be at a bay, or in a dog box.  I don't (and if I were you) I would not tolerate this for very long.  The best hunting dogs are focused on hunting, not fighting.  If I had an overly aggressive dog, I would not put up with it long.  Overly aggressive dogs interrupt learning and behavior of other dogs and should be culled IMMEADIATELY!
x2  that's a big no no in my yard. And u should never ever "let them work it out" u have to show them who is boss around your place. That's your food u just let them eat it

I go where the dogs go!
matt1969
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:21:47 pm »

Well  kicking ass and shocking ain't working.I was hoping that once they got a pecking order it would stop.when I start yelling he coweres down ,but soon as I walk away he starts his crap again.
So your telling me your dogs all get along when eating?
brad s
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:22:12 pm »

I have 2 male dogs in same pen together n they will literally eat out of same bowl together one is my catch dog. The other dogs are separated but still don't have food aggression. Some dogs Are like that and u have to separate them when feeding

I go where the dogs go!
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:27:23 pm »

Each and every one of my dogs eats separately. Then again, each and every one of my dogs has their own pen or chain spot.

I honestly don't think you'll ever 'fix' that issue. If shocking and whoopins don't work, they simply are going to have to be separated minimally at feeding time.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
brad s
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:39:13 pm »

Food aggression could lead to something worse. I had a pup one time that had food agression issues and then he just got agressive with every dog I had didnt matter if food was around or not. He got into with my #2 dog and messed him up pretty good and I tolerated it way to long. Never Again

I go where the dogs go!
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:19:47 pm »

All the above , letting them work it out is a major no no , seperate your dogs at feeding , don't tolerate this behavior , establish you are the pack leader ,
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 10:27:35 pm »

I feed four dogs right together in the same pen. Two cats two bmc. None of them put up with having their food taken but they learn not to mess with one another. Each patiently wait for their helping and I feed one at a time. With therapy they learn. It can be done. I feed then the same way every day and have no trouble. Yours are pups I know so just separate the one from the rest if you can. I probably didn't help much lol

Catch em, tie em, drag em out!
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 06:21:16 am »

When feeding my dogs I make them sit or they don't get to eat this calms them down before eating got one dog that grawl at the other dog thru then kennel and not let them eat after few days with no food he learned to sit and not bother the other dogs
Rodeo
Strike Dog

boar65

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 03:00:02 am »

I got 5 pit/cat pups and they do the same thing, what has worked so far was me standing there while they eat with the water hose ready for action. Seems to work now fighting

Everytime you are running dogs or trapping hogs, every encounter is different. Got to love it. Please be safe! Wild hog will get you if given the chance!!
Da Butcher
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 12:15:59 pm »

I keep my cur dogs penned together, males in one pen and gyps in another. I have a gyp that inhales her food as fast as possible, then goes and pushes the smaller gyps off their food bowls. if I stand out by the pen she wont do it and everything is OK, but as soon as I turn my back and walk towards the house she would start on the smaller dogs. I got tired of this, and now I just put her on a chain where she can reach her food bowl and water...I wait 30 minutes or so then go back out and release her...   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: