April 25, 2024, 03:26:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets play the "What's He Worth?" Game  (Read 5650 times)
LTcaughthog
Alpha Dog

Philippians 4:13

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 10:37:22 pm »

I agree 100% with jimmy
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 11:49:47 pm »

Is this the dog you just bred a little while ago ?

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 11:55:33 pm »

Yes it is

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 12:08:02 am »

I have seen dogs sale for more than that that didn't do half of what you stated and the people where happy to get it my lead dog which I did not raise or train I got on Craig's list for 200 bucks just took a chance it had a different name on the collar than the person I got him from so I called they said he was ok at best now I have had this dog for close to a yr he has been money every where I have taken him and he was only 200 now my buddy got to dog for 800 that where breed by a good breeder and where not worth a lick so if I had money to burn I would pay big cash for that kind of dog you got there I never new there was so many politics in cur dogs I guess that why I should just hunt mutts lol
Lance
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:06 am »

For what you say he is I would say at least $1000 and he should get better and higher priced with age.

A scared dog dont get no meat !
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 02:27:01 am »

750 but if he would cast out farther maybe more. He is young and if you put him with longer range dogs he may start ranging out more

Lets go we burning daylight
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 03:08:47 am »

750 but if he would cast out farther maybe more. He is young and if you put him with longer range dogs he may start ranging out more

Agree. I would feed him for sure going by the description..
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 03:20:13 am »

Sorry just re-read. Just getting smoked doesn't jive. IMO it quits. The scent doesn't just disappear. Either way he is still young and by the description is showing a lot of potential. My question would be... When he does go two miles is there a hog at the end?
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 08:00:46 am »

Maybe $300-500.. Seems average at best when comparing him to other 18 month old legitimate hog dogs that I've seen. Being scatter bred with no proven parents or line. Jmo

Get ahead dog!
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 08:21:58 am »

Right now (if I wanted a dog), I might pay 300-350 tops.

Right now since I don't want a dog, I wouldn't take him for free.  Sounds like he is working out well and seems like he could make a dog, but from what you described, I don't think I would say he is in the top %ile of dogs I've seen at the same age.

If I was new to the sport and looking for a couple started dogs to get started, maybe 600.
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 09:49:00 am »

He's not my style. 500

Monty Bennet
chainrated
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 09:58:00 am »

If I knew the person selling him and had been huntin with the dog enough times to know that he was what you are describing , I'd pay $1500 for him. I know of 2 that are about the same that have had $1500 dollar offers on and it was turned down. To me if your only goal is to go catch hogs with a dog that's easy to hunt then a young dog like that with POTENTIAL to be a sure enough hogdog is worth buying.
The more I hunt the more I want a smart dog that hunts around me for the hog I put him on.A dog that can do it all right by himself. A dog that's just a pleasure to hunt and don't waste a bunch of time running 5 miles from me just to do it.
A dog that kicks rocks in your face and leaves the country when I turn it loose doesn't impress me one bit and neither does A dog that will catch a 200 lb bad boar hog by himself. I want a dog that hunts around me when I turn him loose because 75% of the time when I turn one loose its on top of a big track. I want a dog to hunt that hog and take that track ,not one a mile from me. And while big bad tough rough dogs have their place and I respect them that's not the kind of dog that you can hunt day in, day out for years. They stay cut down and beat and banged up, I've raised plenty of them.
With that being said most people have no clue what kind of dog I'm talking about and if they are selling that dog it's because they are not smart enough to realize what they have or they are done hog huntin.

Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, you might meet em both if you show up here unwelcome son..
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 10:31:33 am »

If I knew the person selling him and had been huntin with the dog enough times to know that he was what you are describing , I'd pay $1500 for him. I know of 2 that are about the same that have had $1500 dollar offers on and it was turned down. To me if your only goal is to go catch hogs with a dog that's easy to hunt then a young dog like that with POTENTIAL to be a sure enough hogdog is worth buying.
The more I hunt the more I want a smart dog that hunts around me for the hog I put him on.A dog that can do it all right by himself. A dog that's just a pleasure to hunt and don't waste a bunch of time running 5 miles from me just to do it.
A dog that kicks rocks in your face and leaves the country when I turn it loose doesn't impress me one bit and neither does A dog that will catch a 200 lb bad boar hog by himself. I want a dog that hunts around me when I turn him loose because 75% of the time when I turn one loose its on top of a big track. I want a dog to hunt that hog and take that track ,not one a mile from me. And while big bad tough rough dogs have their place and I respect them that's not the kind of dog that you can hunt day in, day out for years. They stay cut down and beat and banged up, I've raised plenty of them.
With that being said most people have no clue what kind of dog I'm talking about and if they are selling that dog it's because they are not smart enough to realize what they have or they are done hog huntin.

You ought a know that most folks won't ever get it. Even after they've been schooled by the type of dog your talking about time after time they'll assume the hog was running away from their spazmatic dogs and yours just got lucky.  laugh

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
chainrated
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 10:55:09 am »

And that T-Bob is why I don't hunt with "most folks"....  Wink

Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, you might meet em both if you show up here unwelcome son..
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 11:31:31 am »

That's a great post Chainrated.  U hit nails square on the heads  not just one but a bunch.  The only thing I like different is I like mine a bit on the ruffer side other than that and that's just me you are on the bull's-eye.   Enjoyed reading that post!

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
jagdtank
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 06:05:28 pm »

so,is he for sale?
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 06:18:44 pm »

No....he's not. Though he's not my perfect dog, he's the best I have. I like him enough to keep him on my yard and in the woods.

He is a good base to work with. I covered a rough gyp with him and I've got a few pups out of him Ill be working with over the fall and starting in the woods come January.

Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2013, 07:56:18 pm »

after the way u tell him some where around 550 to 650 but he's still learning. 
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2013, 08:07:11 pm »

I have paid over 2k for a dog not worth the time to dig a hole. Paid 300 bucks for my dog Sally and 500 for snapper. Not great dogs but way above average for sure. Snapper has long line of dogs behind her and has gotten better with age. They are both solid dogs and I have faith that they will find hogs if they are around.
   I may be thinking of someone else but was it Jasper who had a hard time sticking with a hog not too long ago ? Barking then when you got close he would show up ?

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2013, 08:19:46 pm »

Oh yeah....definitely still learning.

He has impressed me at times....
On multiple hunts he shown me bottom I'm proud of, he's worked a sounder of pigs with one other dog and looked like a seasoned veteran, he's even struck out of the box a couple times.

He's made me laugh at times....
Baying pipes or being chased by coyotes.

And he's embarrassed me at times.....
Baying blood weed when then pigs have already moved off.

Honestly...at a year and half old I wouldn't even begin to speculate how he's gonna finish out. He's got SO much potential. Question is....can I bring it out of him.

It's the old standard line "just feed him tracks" but that's easier said than done. Gotta have the places to hunt that have the tracks. That's the key!

I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing and see how he ends up. Maybe if I'm lucky his pups will turn out like him......or......if I'm REAL lucky they will turn out to be what I hoped they could be when I made the breeding.

Anyway....I'm happy with this COW DOG

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: