March 28, 2024, 12:31:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleanest holding dog you've owned  (Read 1856 times)
Justified
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2013, 06:40:31 pm »

Breed, pic, stories, whatever you've got on your cleanest catching dog.
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:07:43 pm »

Staghound
aussie black mouth curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:23:10 pm »

Yep stags are good. Great Dane crosses can also be good.  Wolfhounds generally very very good as well.  Anything with too much bull blood will shake its head and be hard to get off....clean holding is one of the things we bred for here for years...
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:29:21 pm »

This is surprising to me...granted...I know NOTHING about stags or Danes but I did not know they locked down without shaking.

I've never had a bulldog shake...curs sure...but the bulldogs I've owned simply lock down.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:40:27 pm »

Rodgeback by far.  Straight ear smart breaks on comand backs off and will get ahead and hunt again if told to.   My cat is nearly as good.  I like clean holding dogs that is a high cull factor for me.
Justified
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:44 pm »

Aussie-never had a full stag had a bulldog/stag that was pretty good and I know a couple finder holders type dogmen that hunt Dane stag and wolfhound crosses as stated. My only gripe with mine was in thicker brush, but he could really move in the open.

Purebreed- I love a clean catching cur, I've never had the luck of personally owning a straight catch ridge. I know Kbar has some stock. ID like to get a male pup from a catchy line of them.

KevinN- I've seen a lot of head shaking bulldogs, in all honesty I've only seen a few that didn't head shake at all. Even the one I own now will head shake on a smaller hog. Of course I seem to be a cull magnet when it comes to bulldogs. Go through 6 to find one I like enough to keep...
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »

I have had my Stag on at least a hundred pigs since I have owned him and who knows how many before I got him. He has been on some nasty boars (see previous pictures from me) and has only been hit twice. Once hunting behind Brian's Superman dog who likes to roll off and bay hogs back to back. Multiple hogs in 20 minutes on a hot day and I think fatigue played a big part. Just so happens the last one was a nasty one and he got hit on the way in. Nothing major but it was a hit(but he didn't quit). One other time in some thick crap he got a tooth broke off in his shoulder and that's it. I consider him the cleanest holding I have ever hunted behind. He seems smart when it comes time and has the height to keep his feet on the ground and keep out of harms way..

I know this has been debated multiple times on here so this is just my opinion and I'm not up to debate catch dogs again.. LOL 
Myles Man
Strike Dog

100 MPH in the right direction

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 06:31:15 am »

So shaking is a negative trait? Clean catching is good handle on the CD and a grip without shaking? Just wondering......

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 07:44:16 am »

So shaking is a negative trait? Clean catching is good handle on the CD and a grip without shaking? Just wondering......
shaking can make em loose grip or rip an ear off then he's loose again. The cur cds I've seen chew, shake and regrip but I'm sure there's some that don't.

Catch em, tie em, drag em out!
Justified
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 09:52:35 am »

I want the dog to lock anchor and roll with the hog pull/tuck into the body when it's a spinning match . When he does end up in front I want him holding not fighting to drag the hog around or trying to shred his ear. while he is holding he still need to move offset with the hog as it moves keeping his body as far away from the head as possible.

That is what look for in a solo holding catchdog and they're not easy to get your hands on. I still after 4years haven't been able to find that one catch dog that fits me perfect. They still get the job done but not what i want if I could draw it up
Jimt3
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 12:52:15 pm »

I want the dog to lock anchor and roll with the hog pull/tuck into the body when it's a spinning match . When he does end up in front I want him holding not fighting to drag the hog around or trying to shred his ear. while he is holding he still need to move offset with the hog as it moves keeping his body as far away from the head as possible.

That is what look for in a solo holding catchdog and they're not easy to get your hands on. I still after 4years haven't been able to find that one catch dog that fits me perfect. They still get the job done but not what i want if I could draw it up
Can you train a dog to work a hog that way? Seems like you should be able to.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 05:44:36 pm »

Jimt3  yes and no the dog has to have self preservation instincts and the will and want to catch.  Think this is the hard thing for a lot of dogs either they have one or the other bay dogs self preservation cds will and want to catch.   That is one thing I like about my ridgeback he has both.  Too many bullbreeds just want to catch and to heck with where they are at etc as far as where the pigs head is they just want that ear in their mouth (if they are a ear dog).    I vary seldom turn a pit loose to a bay any more while I have had a couple that catch and catch hard but I dont like their style of catching they catch then dont care where they are at in relation to the hog. 
lettmroll
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 07:39:22 am »

I haven't had experience with a bunch of different breeds. But i have had a lot of experience with Cur dogs and bull dogs, and have only had one bull dog (female red nose) would  catch the exact way i like, and  two Cur dogs. This has been over  the last 30 years.
One  was a yellow Cur the other was a big brown leorperd cur , with a lazy eye and he just  always laid around waging his tail until you said catch him max and it didn't matter what it was it was caught and he knew how to do it. That's the only Cur dog that I've never heard bark.

Hold on
Big Joe
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »

Name was Jordan, he caught very clean and held his big body side by side with a bigger hog. He was my best, he was an APBT.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 01:46:44 pm »

The cleanest catching dogs I had were two plotts. They would clean eat the ears off a hog in under two minutes & then they would start on the rest of him. If you did not get there in a hurry, there would not be much left to butcher.lol

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 08:48:12 pm »

Had a red cur that wasnt much for hunting but would lock down and just anchor up. Now I hav a half cat half plott that will catch an ear with another dog and won't shake his head or chew just hold on

Seth Gillespie
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 12:41:53 am »

Thats a good looking bulldog Joe.
Big Joe
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 03:21:43 pm »

Thank you sir
Pages: [1]   Go Up