March 29, 2024, 03:58:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Javelinas  (Read 1782 times)
Steven M.
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:50:42 pm »

My cousin wants me to go to south texas for a customer of his. The place is over run with hogs and he wants them gone but me and my buddies dogs have never been down south or seen javi's. I'm worried about the javi's gettin at em. What are the odds that our dogs will get tore up
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:37:28 am »

If there are lots of javelinas there you might not have to worry about the dogs as much as yourself! They are a pissed off creature. Sometimes they go to a pack of dogs bayed up and sometimes will go to defend a hog that is squealing. If your dog tries to run one and catch it you better have lots of sewing equiptment with you cause they are mean and travel in packs and can really hurt your dogs and put you and them out of commission for some time.

"You don't need more dogs, just better one's.!!!" --- my Dad lol

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when your stupid!!!." The John Wayne

"Be good, or be good at it!!!"
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:49 am »

Man I live in Devine tx and I hunt around them SOB all the time and had dog killed and cut bad but I never let that slow me down!! But I got cousin that live in Waller texas and they try to come hunt with me all the time but there ol dog can't hang in the stickers and thorns man
But don't worry about them want to be hogs hahahaha u only live once
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:25:01 pm »

Not very familiar with Javelinas, come you guys tell me a little about them. Sounds like from the way you guys are talking about them that they are badder than Hogs.
b.b.b kennels
Catch Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 02:11:27 pm »

They're like 50 lb Rats that can move like hell. Like coach was saying if one goes to squealing, all of them pile on whatever's causing it.  They Hate dogs. Even seen them go to a dog that was treed on a coon and run him down. They don't cut like hogs, they bite and can take out chunks of meat when they do. Their mouths are just as nasty, if not worse than hogs. Most dogs that I've seen get bit get infections and swelling comparable to rattle snake bites. They're about blind and most groups of them do not scare off from gun fire. We shot 7 one day when a group jumped our pack of dogs, they never left. Any one on here have any method of breaking dogs off of them?

say what you want about my family or friends but you leave my dog the hell out of this-F.D.R.
Bowhunter1994
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 03:57:52 pm »

I live down south and every one says the only way dogs will learn to avoid them is good Ol country ass whooping.
The javelinas will tear up a dog in seconds , like states above they will pile up when a squeal is heard

If you cant hang with the big dogs STAY ON THE PORCH.
brushbusters
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 05:50:35 pm »

Javelinas can open there mouths about three times more than a hog can,  and can reach around and touch their ace.  Almost always travel in packs and defend each other to the death.  I have lost a few dogs to them.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Mike C.
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 06:05:31 pm »

Steve if you don't wanna bring your dogs down South just let me know and I can take mine ;-). I hunt around javelinas almost everywhere I hunt and my dogs don't mess with them

COWBOY UP! "Tuff Hedemen"
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 07:24:32 pm »

I will bring catch dog and machete......when, where?

from me.....who else. tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Steven M.
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 03:28:27 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys I might have to holler at one of y'all when I know the exact date
S_J_KENNELS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 04:04:19 pm »

You should have no problems. We have caught one with the dogs and stretched it out with no problems, and also had a whole pack run from us at the same time. I have seen folks loose a whole pack to javies due to injuries also. Like when running hogs its a roll of the dice as to what you will get.

Shane
Mpbarrs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:17:54 pm »

heck there pretty thick down here in laredo and zapata as well.
BARMBARKENNELS
Catch Dog

GET AHEAD!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 12:29:24 am »

Ask Weller44 what happened to him. Dogs got tore up I'm pretty sure. I know he doesn't like to hunt a certain part of a ranch we hunt because of those little devils.

-M-
Marc McKelvey
Fort Worth, TX
325-665-9499
"If your not first the view never changes!"
weller44
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 12:18:07 pm »

Pure EVIL

This little sucker tore up 3 dang good dogs on the first 5 min of Monty's tourney..

I never want to hear that scream again...he had both my tuff dog and Cole Davis's tex bott jaws in is mouth and was twisted in half with them caught between his legs.
We killed him with a case knife

Trey Davis
Albany, Tx 
325-721-0091
weller44
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 02:13:29 pm »

He was caught just a little over 900 yards from my kennels and this was the first time i have ever seen one! Have always heard of people seeing a pack of them in that area but never really believed them. I do now.

Trey Davis
Albany, Tx 
325-721-0091
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 06:47:29 am »

Just remember that for some dumb reason they are a game animal which means a dog can not be used to hunt them and they can not be killed by a knife. Never understood why they are listed as a game animal  . Glad I don't hunt around them.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: