April 18, 2024, 03:26:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American bulldog for rcd  (Read 1144 times)
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:04:38 pm »

Anyone used one as a running catch? Just seeing if they would have enough stamina or is it pretty much the individual dog? Just trying to get thoughts on the subject

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:56:06 pm »

A guy I new named Paul renyald s ran a pair of those with a cur dog said he had really good luck with it
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:56:18 pm »

In my opinion I think the American bulldog will not have the stamina to be a rcd. Now I think they make great walk in catch dogs
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:23:21 pm »

I may be wrong but I feel it will have a lot to do with the dog and the conditioning of it. They aren't know for being able to run for extended periods of for having the best wind. That don't mean there aren't exceptions to the rule. If u just want a bull dog as a RCD I would go with game bred dogs but even then u really need to work with the dog enough that u are confident they aren't DA.

Shotgun
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:31:09 pm »

Most the bulldog family has to much bulk and muscle that is why they run so much hotter than other breeds of dogs .  Muscle carries and holds a lot more heat and is harder and slower to cool and heats up the internal body and organs  .  With that said there is some bulldogs I knew that could run proably step for step with a cur dog but those were really athletic types of bulldogs long , tall and lean type of bulldogs few and far between these days in these new times in other words old time dogs.  This is why some use a cross bulldog x cur cross .  In my opinion the bird dog crosses on bulldogs works great and crosses good on other ruffer curs and make some good running catch type dogs.  You want a dog that will stay out hunt and be with the find dogs and be there when the strike is made this is why it took me so long and never really found what I wanted till this last year.

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:32 pm »

It appears that a couple of you haven't seen a well bred AB in action.  Just as with any breed, some have better wind than others. I currently feed 6 of them (2 are retired) every one of them would hunt on their own if I let them. My kids own 7 between them as well. Out of all of them, there's only one who I would not allow to run on the ground due to wind.
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:02:09 pm »

This is the candidate. Very good lungs have sent him from 150 and not had any issues so far he has found and caught his own hog before while coming out of a bad thicket. I plan to condition him more before trying it but he's old school blood ambull
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:52 pm »

I think if one could do it it'd be one like him. That pic don't do justice of how tall he is.
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:15 pm »

Are pits run free matering on the property, but we run gritty bay dogs that catch, so we keep help down running either rcd or pit.. all new catch dogs stay on the ground running until they are in shape to run an catch with bay dogs..
b.b.b kennels
Catch Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:01:07 am »

The best two RCDs I ever owned were females that were half American bulldog. One was half Mountain cur from the hill country, the other was 1/4 running walker, 1/4 stock cur from Kennedy area. Both weighed between 60-65 lbs and caught extremely smart. The Sires on both of these were The Bull dogs and both places they came from ran them on the ground with the curs. Both sires had found hogs on their own and both of these females had good noses on them. No reason why a Bulldog wouldn't make an Excellent dog to run on the ground at all times if they had the lungs for it.

say what you want about my family or friends but you leave my dog the hell out of this-F.D.R.
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 12:39:40 pm »

We ran my cousins bulldog on the ground alot with the others and he kept up good. He did love armadillos tho lol. Even found his own hog once

Catch em, tie em, drag em out!
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 09:26:11 pm »

Im sure if you condition him on a regular basis you could do it, but they are always going to take much more conditioning due to them being such a brachycephalic breed. I think i would try what Texashogdogs mentioned by crossing a real good hunting big american pointer to a nice leggy bulldog (pitbull) I think you could get some real good RCD's that way.

Good luck with it, hard work can accomplish most things! You have to keep us updated.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:18 pm »

Rednose ,  Yes sir with the Bird you still keeping all the grit in the world plus all the goodies  stamina , wind , endurance , nose , intelligence , no bark,  and a ton of hunt.  If you choose the right pit bull bloodline to breed into a ear dog,  they have a lot of the same thing but as a bonus you are getting a wrecking machine now with no quit and if it clicks you can combine all this and you got yourself one hell of a RCD and more !

Matter of fact I was on my way to doing this before I ran into what I got now .

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
Indian Valley Ranch
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 05:11:31 pm »

Brandon, Petey will hold up fine if you condition him as you said. We ran his Great Great Grandsire Bo Jack on the ground with our short range curs for many years. Back then we hunted horse back and it was probably the easiest hunting that Ive done. The curs didn't have to bay long at all and he would be there to catch whatever they found. He was conditioned for it because we started training him to keep up with the horses as a small pup when we would ride. When he turned 8 or 10 months old, we introduced him to hogs and he became lead CD, he never missed a beat. He was there with us every step if the hunt covered 5 miles or 20 miles. I hunted his great grandsire Hollywood the same way from time to time and never had any trouble with him either. I started leading them in so I could get the catches on film, but I always enjoyed running them on the ground, it was a fun way to hunt with the right set of dogs and hunting location. Im glad petey is doing a good job for you. PM me your #, Id like to talk with you about him sometime.
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 08:22:21 pm »

Thanks for the info I've started running him by my wheeler lately and have already seen his stamina improve. I'll send you my number.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: