April 20, 2024, 01:18:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hog hunting in the north east  (Read 807 times)
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:37:58 am »

Greetings
I'm new to the board and wanted to introduce myself and some of my dogs. Here are two that I took down to Fl and they both caught the 1st hogs they saw.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=912542-slim

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=1237924-tallula

How far into the north east are people actively hunting? I live in Buffalo, N.Y. and hogs have been photographed in surrounding counties by trail cam. They are few and far between at this time though. Are there people hunting PA, OH, VA or even further northeast N.Y.? Thank you
Teag D

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 02:53:30 pm »

There is a wild population of hogs in Ohio, Va. west Va. & around Croydon, New Hamshire. Dont know about anywhere else.
  Jassen Swissher who is on this board hunts them in Ohio. The hogs in Croydon, New Hampshire are escapees from a preserve that brought in Euoropean hogs in the early 1900's.
  From there, N. Carolina on down to Fla. all the way over to cal. & most of the states inbetween there are hogs.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Hog Dog Mike
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 03:26:51 pm »

Teag_D--Where bouts in Buffaly, NY do you live? My son lives in Amherst and I just spent a couple of weeks up there. Most folks up there look at you like you are from another planet when you mention hog hunting.
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:16:34 am »

Thank you for the info. I'm hoping to get some hunting in on a more regular basis closer to home. I know a few guys in Fl but that trip is a once a year type treat.
I'm in Elma, about 15 min south of Amherst. I would't be surprised with that type of reaction around here. Plenty of hunters but not any hunting hogs. I actually don't hunt anything else, for me I like working with the dogs more than anything.
Teag
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:56:33 am »

I am pretty sure they have a bear training season in New York also. Most people cannot believe how rural N.Y. is, once you are away from the cities.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Hog Dog Mike
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:30:07 am »

I am pretty sure they have a bear training season in New York also. Most people cannot believe how rural N.Y. is, once you are away from the cities.

You bet! Get a map out sometime and look at the Adirondacks east of Buffalo sometime. There are hardly any roads in big chunks of it.

Their hunting regulation booklet has a picture of a hog with a circle around it and a line drawn through the circle. According to them "Eurasian boars, also called Russian boar, wild boar, razorback and feral swine, are harmful, destructive, non-native, invasive species. DEC is working to eradicate Eurasian boar from NY's landscape. If you see a Eurasian boar please report it to the nearest DEC Regional Wildlife Office (page 6) or email fwwildlf@gw.dec.state,ny.us"

I would love to see hogs take a hold up there. Kinda like where I pheasant hunt in South Dakota. The guy up there told me that it was too cold in South Dakota for hogs. I told him Siberia wrote the book on cold and they have bunches of them there.
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 01:24:21 pm »

N.Y. gets rural real quick, Definitely would surprise most people. My step father's family is about 55 min away from Buffalo and their road was just paved within the last 5 years or so. Also, Buffalo's reputation for cold weather is much exaggerated.  Definitely not enough to keep hogs away, probably closer to ideal for them most of the year. 
Hog Dog Mike
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »

One thing I did notice was that fire hydrants in Amherst had a 6' red and white pole attached to the top of them. That is so they can find them when it snows.
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 02:30:53 pm »

yep but that is not because it snows 6 foot, when they plow the street it piles up on the side of the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: