April 20, 2024, 03:19:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cut collars for smaller breed dogs  (Read 807 times)
boarmom
Catch Dog

Nothing is impossible with God!

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:41:30 am »

We are working on a cut collar to fit smaller breed dogs.  One that will be between our terrier cut collar and the regular Ugly Dog or defender cut collars.  We need some feedback on what you owners of these dogs are looking for or needing.  Let us hear from you.

MANAGER FOR:
WILD BOAR USA/UGLY DOG RANCH
1139 US HWY 77 SOUTH
HALLETTSVILLE, TX  77964
866-307-1999
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:18:13 am »

You can just call and get a custom cut from most manufacturers. Julies dog wares a 3.5" wide, 16" long collar and she just gets them custom cut.

Steve
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:20:24 am »

Steve,
   I think that is the new owner of Ugly Dog. I would like to see a value price collar that would fit young dogs but still have the protection of the defender model. And use less kevlar and more wet felt! Shocked

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:25:18 am »

Wow, I don't normally have the cant read for chit syndrome...... Incidentally, Ugly Dog is one of the suppliers that Julie has ordered from. Now that I am on track, what do you need to know exactly? Besides a collar that fits, I think that the rest is subjective just like with the full size collars.

Steve
TrueBlueLacys
Strike Dog

TDHA & NLDA Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:52:48 am »

Is boarmom Patsy? I was just gonna send you an email! Here is what I was gonna send, because I think it could spark a good conversation here.

"I think a smaller cut collar would be a great idea. Our Lacys are pretty small compared to the BMCs and Cats, usually 30 to 45 pounds, and their necks aren't as long. But the terrier collars are just too small, and a lot of people want the added stability of two straps. So most of our hog doggers have had custom collars made. Still, two of us had to send custom collars back to get cut down even further. I guess the Lacys don't seem that much smaller when you look at them because no one believes us when we say the need to be tiny, LOL! I also know a lot of research and thought has gone into the Ugly Dog products, so personally I would like to order more gear from you guys, and I'm sure there are other Lacy owners who feel the same way."

Personally, I have yet to see any off the shelf collars that truly fit a standard size Lacy. And Savoy makes a great point that a smaller collar could be used for young curs or hounds as well. So I think there would be a demand for a smaller size that is bigger than the terrier collar.

I measured the current collar I have and it is 17" by 3.6". I decided to try the more flexible Ugly Dog at 17" by 4" to see how that fits. My main concern about losing width is accommodating the tracking collar, because the clanking was driving me nuts the other day. It may be too late, but should I try to get a 3.75" width? That might be a good happy medium, still allowing room for the tracking collar without loss of movement.

The length is an interesting question too. My 17" collar does fit, but my dog literally has a 14" neck, so I could go as low as 16" and still have plenty of room for velcro. But I think 16" might be a little too small for some of the male Lacys.

Steve, measure those orange ones you have and the pink and black one I gave you and post the dimensions. I'd be interested in comparing all of those.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:06:14 am by TrueBlueLacys » Logged

boarmom
Catch Dog

Nothing is impossible with God!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:55:02 am »

THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK.  CONTINUE SENDING US SIZES AND WE WILL TRY TO MAKE SOMETHING THAT WILL FIT THE AVERAGE .  COMING UP WITH A STANDARD AVERAGE WOULD CUT DOWN ON THE COST SINCE SPECIAL ORDERS ARE ALWAYS A LITTLE EXTRA. WE WILL NEED ALL OF YOUR INPUT TO COME UP WITH A FINAL DECISION.

MANAGER FOR:
WILD BOAR USA/UGLY DOG RANCH
1139 US HWY 77 SOUTH
HALLETTSVILLE, TX  77964
866-307-1999
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:13:48 pm »

My Razorbacks (the orange ones) are 17", my medium size......... My shortest collar is 16" and my longest is 18". All of my collars are 4" wide but I only buy (or make) the MOST flexible ones that I can so that they do not bind up range of motion.

The black and pink one that you inquired about only fits Ollie (bulldog) it is 20".

Julie, as stiff as most production collars are, I would stick with 3.5" if I were you. If you are worried about the tracking collar fitting between the buckles, request 3/4" straps and buckles instead of the standard 1".

Steve
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 06:56:05 pm »

Im needing one for my Lacy. She is tiny. 30 lbs at the most. And my terrier collar that i bought for a buddies Jagd is too small for her. Its also too small for his Jagd so it is on my male Lacy pup right now and about to be too small for him. If i were to make an in between collar it would be 3.75 thick, Have one loop for tracking collar, Be double strapped, fit necks from 14 to 17 inches. With four layer protection like the ugly dog.

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: