March 28, 2024, 06:00:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gonna have my hands full next year  (Read 1039 times)
tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »

these are the four i kept out of my redtick female x catahoula male.
these are registered plotts out of my maltese female and nimrods rockytop onyx
  these were born today, they are out of a ctahoula female i got from hogtied, and a reg. plott. there is 8 best i can tell, they are 4 that tlook like plotts and 4 that look like cats. can't wait to see how they gonna turn out.

Powered by
* Dr.Enuf *
JJT
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:31:06 pm »

hey tn the pups look good i like that cross of cat and plott, ive been looking for a plott male to breed to my female cat. if you get rid of any pups let me know, Ide like to try one of them females that look like a plott, hint hint lol  if u are gonna get rid of em of course.

hog doggin aint a sport its an addiction!!
mex
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:39:17 pm »

I got the same problem but not a bad thing.Keep us informed!

"it's not the dying im afraid of.....it's the living"
-lonesome dove
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:11 pm »

Just a ? for you gentleman who breed half hounds. First of all I want to say the best dog I have ever hunted with owned by tom is a half hound and half cur(spiderman) and own a cur with 1/4 walker in her.----But since there is such a big chance that they will be open is your only option to raise all the pups and cull the open dogs and keep the silent ones??? I dont have the kennell space food money or patiance to find out or ruin my freinds hunts. I have personally just bred a 900yd bmc strike dog to a line bred grand champion english pointer who has a ton of endurance drive etc. hoping to get the nose without the mouth. Thanks for any input.
tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:12:07 pm »

I don't mind a little mouth in my dogs, in these mtns it's kinda prefered. but just a little, i like just enough mouth to tell which direction they are going, that's why i like the crosses. i don't want a hog dog that can run a three day old track, or that is too mouthy on track, so i cross them with the curs. i havn't been making these crosses very long, bout 4 yrs, the first time was accidental breeding, tied my hound female too close to my mtn cur,  Shocked i kept two to start on hogs, just to see how they would turn out, well to make a long story short, i put them in the bay pen bout twice and took them too the woods, @ 10 months old, male pup struck out of the box, turned them loose and had a 80# sow caught in 5 mins. and every time i took them after that, exept once. sold them, so now i am starting over. this is first time crossing with these catahoulas so not sure what too expect.