April 25, 2024, 06:19:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a dog used to a vest...  (Read 1608 times)
DrenalinJunkie
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:15:42 pm »

Just recently got back into running dogs ( been busy raising the kido, work, etc).

Back in the day, I never ran vests or even collars for that matter. And sadly, I lost alot of dogs this way. So my question is this.....

How did you get your dog used to the vest? I want them to be ready and willing to put it on.
Did you buy multiple vests (as they grew)?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

It's better to live an open sinner than die a false saint.
Handle_It
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:22:16 pm »

Put it on them and leave it on them on the chain, kennel etc. till they are used to it, has worked for me in past.
Big Joe
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:24:42 pm »

X2
DrenalinJunkie
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »

At what age did you start putting one on them?
Leave it on all day or short periods of time?

hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:53:10 pm »

I personally would try to take my dog somewhere (line a fenced in yard or little league baseball field) and put the vest on them and let them run around.  The first few times the dog probably wont move and youll want to take the vest off.  Its okay, a little at a time.  I own a couple different size vest, that way they can wear one as soon as they can fit in it, of course they will grow into the next size.  Once they learn to wear one, game on.
DrenalinJunkie
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 03:55:59 pm »

I personally would try to take my dog somewhere (line a fenced in yard or little league baseball field) and put the vest on them and let them run around.  The first few times the dog probably wont move and youll want to take the vest off.  Its okay, a little at a time.  I own a couple different size vest, that way they can wear one as soon as they can fit in it, of course they will grow into the next size.  Once they learn to wear one, game on.

sounds good

haakdt
Strike Dog

Huntington tx. 936-208-9872

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 04:19:38 pm »

Put it on them and leave it on them on the chain, kennel etc. till they are used to it, has worked for me in past.
x3

"If you can't hang with the big dogs then stay outta the street"
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 05:53:44 pm »

Whatever you do, it is never a good idea to put a vest on a dog and leave them in a kennel. Too many opportunities for a dog to get hung up.  Once they are hung up they will try to twist and fight and they could ended up hanging themselves.  You also have to be carefull with certain dogs and their collars in kennels.  Many of dogs have tried to climb a kennel fence and end up hanging themselves. 
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 05:57:40 pm »

I read this post to my wife (she knows about dogs because we had them for 10 plus years) but she doesn't hunt with me.  Even she knows not to leave a vest on a dog.  She mentioned how hot it is and that leaving a dog in a vest for a prolonged period of time in this heat could be dangerous.  She is right.
Handle_It
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 06:12:08 pm »

I read this post to my wife (she knows about dogs because we had them for 10 plus years) but she doesn't hunt with me.  Even she knows not to leave a vest on a dog.  She mentioned how hot it is and that leaving a dog in a vest for a prolonged period of time in this heat could be dangerous.  She is right.

Glad your wife is right. No one said put a vest on a dog in a 100 degree weather in the middle of the summer for an extent amount of time. It was a Simple suggestion! As far as kennel he would have to assess how his dogs act to see if they climbin out!!  To his his own!!
LTcaughthog
Alpha Dog

Philippians 4:13

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 06:19:33 pm »

That's commen sense... Nobody's saying too leave a dog in a vest in 100 degree weather. But too get a dog used too a vest they need too be In a vest hell I've even put a dog in a vest for them too break it in. Of course it was cooler outside and my dogs are on a chain and kennel. So it makes no difference.
DrenalinJunkie
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:28:00 pm »

I couldn't see leaving a dog in a vest for long periods either. That's why I questioned it. But short lengths makes sense as well as an area where they can run and get a feel for it.

Like I said in the original post.... I've never used a vest. I was always in the old school mindset of if the dog made it back be made it back, if not... Get another dog.

25 years later and I lil smarter, I'm more into a form of protection for my investments.

How about recommendations on vests to look into as well as ones to stay away from?

LTcaughthog
Alpha Dog

Philippians 4:13

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 07:06:38 pm »

http://hardcorehogdogs.com/

Mikes a great guy with a great company.
Hell take care of you everytime. I get all my vests and collars from him.
brushbusters
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 08:43:30 pm »

X2

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 08:55:51 pm »

What else does the wording put it on him on the chain and leave it on him mean?  You said until he gets used to it...how long is that?  Sounds like a while to me.  Huh???  Its dam hot out no matter how long a dog is left in it, and a dog doesn't deserve to be put in a vest and left for any period of time in this heat.  Drenalin seems like a guy with sense, Im sure he will figure out a good solution.

Jaredmiko
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 09:38:04 pm »

X3 great products!
Handle_It
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 10:13:21 pm »

As long as the owner wants it on there, and the sayin untill he gets used to it doesnt mean in one damn sitting. Could take a week coukd take a month but like you said im sure he will figure it out. And whats to say anything is even being done in the heatsounds like ur jumpin to conclusions little quick.
SaltyhoggerJr
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 10:16:12 pm »

X3 great products!

X4!!
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 10:27:14 pm »

Will ur dogs play with toys? Balls sticks whatever. If so start playing with them then put the vest on them. Play a few minutes and call it a day. Next time start for a few minutes then vest and finish playing with em. Next time start with the vest on and go from there. Of the toy they like is pigs u can do this in a bay pen. Once u get them use to it always put the vest on when hunting. In short time the vest will mean hunting and they will ask for it.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 10:49:03 pm »

When the dog is old enough for the woods, start hauling him and keep the vest on the dog.  Get a bay and send him with an older dog. Should be used to it after a hunt or two. Once he catches one in woods with it on he will be set .

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: