April 25, 2024, 02:52:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: have a cd question  (Read 726 times)
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2013, 02:30:17 pm »

Was watching a video on facebook and the cd looked as if it tried to catch a black bay dog on first ariveing at bay.  Have anyone of yall ever had this happen if so was it a one time thing or did it reacure.  Have always wondered and think it has happened to me once but not sure as I did not see it happen.  On a one time thing and dog broke off dog and caught hog would you cull for this?
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:55:29 pm »

no I wouldn't cull unless it made a habit out of it  . heck I remember a bar fight when I knocked a guy on my team out  .  lol

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:46:00 pm »

I have not had the happen with my dog, but I have seen it happen with another persons dog.  I would excuse this as a one time thing for a young dog; I believe it is very likely that a young dog being overly excited could possible catch another dog.  As long as this was a one time thing, young or old, I don't think I would cull for this.  For an older dog, the second time would be the last time. 
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 04:17:21 pm »

Yeah I've had it happen.  You get certain bulldogs blood heated up and they'll catch a freight train.  What you wanna watch out for is when the bulldog is leashed up after a caught hog and he's trying to catching bay dogs as they go back and forth.  I have had both happen, and shoulda seen the signs for what they were, cuz it wasn't three bays later he caught a dog.  He did roll off the dog and catch the hog but it still aint worth the hassle to have to worry about. 
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:03:10 pm »

seen it happen

Lets go we burning daylight
brad s
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »

My last bulldog has done that a time or 2. He just got so wound up just wantin to grab anything. He bit my wife one night she walked between him at the hog which was prob 5 or. 6ft. As long as u got him away from the hog he was fine its just when he's close he goes nuts.

I go where the dogs go!
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:30:02 pm »

Yeah been around dogs that go nutts for a pig after you pull them off I was more wondering about going into a bay.  I require a off switch for my bulldogs and one way to do this is sit at the bay pen with them when they are young and not let them catch.  Has worked well for me anyways. Heck even have done it with older dogs they have to learn they cant catch anything or just because they see a pig.
Curcross1987
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:36:18 pm »

I have seen it happen but the catch dog realized what he had caught and let go immediately so it was a mistake nothing to cull one for
Justified
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 12:46:32 am »

I've had it happen, let it slide the first time, the second Time was his last strike. I'd make the decision based on experience in the woods and how the dog is after they're caught and in the truck riding around. In my case, he showed some aggression when he got excited before we loaded up so he was already on my bad side.
Myles Man
Strike Dog

100 MPH in the right direction

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 12:53:32 am »

I was training a 15 mth male pit. Very good nature/handle. His first time on a hog was a good catch. I let my   female RCD catch for bout 10 sec then let him go. He ran up really excited and nipped her back leg for half a sec.  She let go, turned around and looked at him, got back on the pig, and then he did what she did. every since that one mistake,,,,he got the point as to what his job was. Turned out I worked him for a month, was supposed to take him in, then the owner said "never mind, I'm gonna keep him".

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: