April 20, 2024, 11:40:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marking Hogs  (Read 2022 times)
ards77656
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 12:00:40 pm »

well I know that we cut the tail then casterate the hogs

rafterpuncher....we only hunt on our hunting lease here in southeast texas and we dont want to kill everything we catch, we would eventually run out of hogs to hunt if we did that.

Now if a farmer or rancher is paying you, or letting you hunt for free on there land, I can see killing everything, becuase you are doing them a service. But we dont like to kill more than we can eat. There are way to many hunger people in the USA to be doing that.

Just a thought all of you who do kill and leave laying, why dont you give that meat to a food bank of something?

I hope I did not offend anyone, I just hate to hear of good meat being wasted. We were raised you kill it you eat it, TRUST ME...my husband had to eat a Red Headed Woodpecker when he was young, cause his mom caught him killing it. They did not have much money so they were not waisteful. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings.
catchrcall
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 12:25:05 pm »

A lot of the hogs that I kill get quartered up, packed out and fed to either me or my dogs.  I have tried donating to food banks, battered women's shelters, homeless shelters, missions, and a place that helps single women that are pregnant.  None of them want it unless it is usda inspected.  some of them don't want it at all because it's wild pork.  they wouldn't even take it if I cut it up myself and donated it.  I would have to take it to a processor, pay to have it processed and then donate it.  I don't catch as many hogs as a lot of folks on here, but if I paid for them all to be processed so I could donate them,I would go broke.  It's really too bad they don't want it. 

ards77656, I was not offended a bit by your post.  It seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:28:53 pm by catchrcall » Logged

LONESTAR WORKING DOG ASSOCIATION
www.lswda.org

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a rock- Will Rogers
Marshall
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 12:26:10 pm »

I double under bit on either ear so it looks like an "M" and tip the end of the tails.
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 01:48:20 pm »

I double under bit on either ear so it looks like an "M" and tip the end of the tails.

Thats the same as mine

John Esker
clint
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 02:11:49 pm »

bob tail,,, no gonads when they walk off lol

Quality over Quantity!

You gotta cut the boars to catch the Barrs.

Get Ahead Son!
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 02:21:46 pm »

I kinda like the hogs havin tails on em, another thing to grab onto if sh*t goes down.

John Esker
hogtied
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 02:35:56 pm »

We just cut their ears and tails OFF! Makes it fun the next time. Shocked
I lost several good dogs because some a$$hole cut the ears all the way off and my dogs couldnt catch!!! I notch them deep so they flop and barr them... mayb cut the tail too depends on my mood.

may your life be free from trouble, like a slick catch and a double!!!
ETHHunters
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 05:23:46 pm »

I dont worry about it too much my dogs catch legs and anywhere else they can Grin
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 05:35:52 pm »

When I ran a camp on Laureles we killed all sows and if we turned a boar loose he was minus his jewels. To keep the barrs looking good for shoulder mounting we just ear tagged them with a calf ear tag. That way we had a deal with growers to kill all the others in a sounder except any with ear tags, we'd kill them too Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

uva uvam videndo varia fit
Like having my own little fuzzy convict, he steals, is violent and from what I saw him doing to his teddy bear obviously sexually frustrated.
clint
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 06:24:03 pm »

I kinda like the hogs havin tails on em, another thing to grab onto if sh*t goes down.

Well we don't bob it all the way off,,, we cut it with about 6-7 inches left so you can get aholt lol

Quality over Quantity!

You gotta cut the boars to catch the Barrs.

Get Ahead Son!
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 07:07:16 pm »

I dont think people should cut the ears off, i think that is bull S#!+. I have heard of alot of people losing dogs to hogs like that. Especially for someone who only has one catchdog and that dog catches on the ear every time they are pretty likely to be screwed, especially when an unprotected cur dog jumps in on the catch expecting that hog to have a bull dog on his ear.

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 07:10:49 pm »

I don't think there is a hog dogger in the world that cuts the ears off of a hog and turns it loose....he is messing with yall  Wink
MG

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
hogtied
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 07:18:46 pm »

I dont worry about it too much my dogs catch legs and anywhere else they can Grin
In a situation like that it would be fine, but my catch dog and all my cur dogs catch on the ear, they catch and hold not just bite wherever...and it is sad to watch a good dog try over and over to grab a ear like he is suppose to thats cut off and watch him get cut to death trust me...a hogs ears are cut off for one reason only around here and that is by people that dont agree with catchin hogs with dogs, only someone that knows what they are doing cuts an ear off.. the reason i stopped tagging them was because if a deer hunter sees a hog with a tag in the middle of a herd which one gets killed??? but on the other hand thats the reason for marking them on certain places, so hunters know which ones are good for meat hogs... and i mite bob a tail or not it just depends, never affected me because i leg them by the leg not the tail

may your life be free from trouble, like a slick catch and a double!!!
stoked
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 05:16:31 am »

we cut the ear with our own little style. haven't caught the same hog twice in a while. in fact, i think that's only happened like one time. there's just too many around here.

however, some nights...as many as there are...it's hard to find one...isn't that weird.

i guess that's why i love to hog hunt... THE ELUSIVE PIGS!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: