March 28, 2024, 09:11:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: training vs. natural instinct  (Read 703 times)
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:47:55 pm »

I was wondering how many of yall have dogs that you didn't have to train to hog hunt with the exception of handle. We have a couple of young dogs that we are working with but our best dogs (the A team), we showed them what a hog was and they just started finding hogs and baying them and they get smarter about it with each hog (same thing with our cd). Makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time with the ones that we have to "train", maybe the good ones are just born with it. What are yalls thoughts?

Let me also say that I'm talking about dogs that you get that are old enough to hit the woods, not little pups. That killer instinct doesn't kick in until they get some size on them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:40:12 am by djhogdogger » Logged

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
hogtied
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:15:44 pm »

I think your rite, I have 4, year old dogs that just go on their own, will find a hog, bay good... no training, its amazing, and most of my older dogs were that way as well, it just came natural, some have to be trained, i dont really waste the time on one anymore once i give it time to see it dont come natural to it, its gonna start some talkin, but im  gonna go ahead and say it... If you breed proven dogs from proven lines it will pay off, not on every pup, but if its bred into them then they are alot more likely to just pick it up on their own. And just because you have two good dogs and breed them, that dont make a good set of pups, what if they were the only two good dogs out of either of their background? It takes years of dedication to raise an entire line of proven dogs to get to where you can start throwing good percentages of naturally talented pups consistently

may your life be free from trouble, like a slick catch and a double!!!
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:42:14 pm »

seems to me like the instincts to hunt and work should be there and are rarely taught...However all the training comes in to work cows,goats,sheep,etc. or just kill skunks and possums on the way to finding and baying up a hog. Angry Other than trash breaking the only other training i have done is if a pup is suicideal it is good to get him backed up and baying in a pin before getting him on an experienced boar with cutters in the woods. Or if a young dog got whipped in the woods build his confidence back up in a baypen with something he can handle..but they have to have drive! Wink
hogtied
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:44:21 pm »

your rite, you cant train the hunt into them... just the fine tuning

may your life be free from trouble, like a slick catch and a double!!!
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:09:34 pm »

I have to agree. The dogs that have that natural instinct are hard to come by. We just got lucky. One was given to us by a friend who wanted the dog for working cattle and said that the pup was going to be too rough, another one was given to us by a friend who happened to have a well bred cur that had too much hunt in it to be a pet. Our cd just wandered up in our yard one day with a bullet hole in him, we couldn't find the owners so we kept him. That is our "A" team. These type of dogs are hard to get from people who hunt. I wouldn't give one up either.LOL Grin
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:11:56 pm by djhogdogger » Logged

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: