April 20, 2024, 07:34:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Can I put a band on a 6 week old pup to dock tail?
Band - 1 (100%)
Cut - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Docking 6 week old puppies  (Read 1599 times)
Ctown08
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:22:18 am »

I wanted to do it myself not if it's to late then ill have to take em to the vet just wanted to know if any of ya have done it at this age.
Hutch33
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:42:14 am »

Anything you band will eventually die and fall off, but you usually wanna dock pups at 2-5 days. At 6 wks I would take your pup to the vet. 
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:34:51 pm »

i do all mine before they are a week old.  If they are already six weeks i would take them to the vet.
Americanlegendz
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:46:53 pm »

I've put a band on an 8 week old pup and it work.  I'm not telling u to do it just telling u i've done it and it work just fine not problems. 
Ctown08
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 04:27:57 pm »

American legends how long did it take the tail to fall off when you did it on the pup?
Americanlegendz
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 05:32:32 pm »

It took about a week or so.  Didn't bother the pup after the blood stop circulating.  I figure it feels to him like when u were a kid and bored in math class wrapping your finger with a rubber band over and over again till it goes numb.  Maybe I was just a weird kid. lol  Anyway, the tail just dried out and one day it wasn't there anymore.  A little opening in the nub but I just sprayed it with purple spray and it was cool and never got infected.  pic of the female I did at that older age.   

That's a pic of the pup right after the tail came off.  Sorry don't have a pic of the backside but to give u an idea of the size the pup was. 
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:35:10 am »

I have done em at 8 weeks. Just use a good sharp pocket knife.

Smiling like a killer
Americanlegendz
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 12:04:38 pm »

^^^^^Come off like hot butter.   Lol  for sure alot quicker.  Watch out for the people who keep their dogs in the house though.  I'm sure they won't like that method.  Wink 
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »

Or it can be done when they're just a few days old when there's less pain felt from it and they'll even heal that much faster. Nothing wrong with docking at all, or whatever docking methods are preferred by each individual (in most cases), but if you have the inclination that you want to do so, why not do it when the pups are only a few days old. To each their own. Personally, if I had a change of heart and wanted to dock tails on any pups that were a few weeks old or above, I'd take 'em in to the vet and have 'em gas 'em/knock 'em out while they dock them with a 10 blade and put those couple sutures in. But again, to each their own.

By the way, I'm no fur mommy, I am indeed a dogwoman, but I sure wouldn't use my pocket knife to dock tails off an 8 week old pup when I could handle it as I mentioned above very easily and inexpensively. It's also PROBABLY not a good idea to share with the internet (and all the animal rights nuts lurking on it) that you dock pups tails with pocket knives when they're 8 weeks old.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Jimt3
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 07:11:46 pm »

^^+1! I'm all for keeping the animal rights activists at bay... (Get it?) It's not that hard to treat animals in such a way as to avoid scrutiny from the "fur momma's"! It's easier to just keep our questionable practices to ourselves instead of bragging to the Internet about dumb stuff. Amiright?
Americanlegendz
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:50:11 pm »

Yup gotta watch out for the tree huggers.  Funny how even having ABs one still gets harassment.  The uneducated call pretty much any bull breed a vicious pit.  Now a days u have to be real careful about being politically correct

Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 03:41:14 pm »

Don't believe I was bragging about nothing.  The man asked a question & I gave an answer on what I know works.  If I have a litter I do it when they are born. If someone gives me one at a few weeks old I do it the same way not everyone runs to the vet if their dog gets a scratch. Some of us that aren't Internet hog hunters take care of em on our own. Have a good day.

Smiling like a killer
Jimt3
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 04:47:35 pm »

HAHA! Well said! Been a member of a hog hunting forum since 2009 and posting four posts a day since?? AND calling people "Internet Hog Hunters" for using a vet? You said it on the internet! I bet you learned that phrase on the Internet! So rich. I bet you and your buds are going to laugh at how clever you are later! I know me and mine will!
Black Smith
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 05:14:30 pm »

So do we need to start taking our hogs to the vet to make barrs out of them!!!!
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 07:27:17 pm »

I believe some on here would lol.

Smiling like a killer
slckhunter1978
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 08:06:41 pm »

Was just curious as to if you bought the pup or raised it? I usually do it soon as they r born

Hunt hard or go home!
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 11:40:29 pm »

Don't believe I was bragging about nothing.  The man asked a question & I gave an answer on what I know works.  If I have a litter I do it when they are born. If someone gives me one at a few weeks old I do it the same way not everyone runs to the vet if their dog gets a scratch. Some of us that aren't Internet hog hunters take care of em on our own. Have a good day.

I am a Veterinary Technician, and I certainly do NOT take my dogs to the vet "if my dogs get a scratch," as I have doctored many as well as other folks' dogs in my vicinity. I don't even see the relevancy of the "not everyone runs to the vet if your dog gets a scratch" comment, as we were addressing the fact that you stated that you docked an 8 week old puppy's tail with your pocket knife, on the internet at that. BIG difference there. Ain't no internet hog hunter here buddy.

We jump on folks for posting pics up of busted up dogs, but yet you thought it'd be a good idea to share the fact publicly that you cut an older pups tail off with a pocket knife? To each their own, you can cut your dogs tails off as adults with a butter knife for all I care, but at least think before you share certain things on the world wide web, where we have folks watching us and looking to use any and all ammo they can find against us to prove their "points" about how us doggers don't care for our dogs properly and how cruel us hunting folks are, hoe hunting with dogs should be banned, etc. Do as you do, just think before posting things publicly was my main point. 

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Ctown08
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 11:10:04 am »

We bought the puppies at 6 weeks old. N the Heelers I've raised I cut at about 3 days old expect for last year mom got weird on me the first week thought she was going to eat me when I went passed her food bowl towards the pups. I didn't mean to start a fire I was just tryn to figure out if it could still be done at that age.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: