April 19, 2024, 09:10:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another plott question  (Read 712 times)
BBBB hoggers
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:05:12 pm »

Are most or all plotts open or semi open or can they be silent too
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:30 pm »

I would say most to all are open on track, there is a large variance of how open they are.  Very rare to find one that doesn't open at some point.  The plotts that I know that are silent, did not start they way.  A friend of mine has a very quiet plott, but she started to get quiet at the age or 6 or 7.  I would estimate that less than 1% would be totally silent.
BBBB hoggers
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:30:45 pm »

Haven't had any experience with plotts but I like what I read except the openness. Here in the hill country a lot of these pigs run and won't honor a bay and I hate being out there for hours and hours chasing that one pig and trying to locate your dog through all the brush for miles
BBBB hoggers
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:34:01 pm »

I don't now just asking questions
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 07:53:52 am »

Best I can say is find someone who hunts with them (and more than just one plott) and go hunt with them.  See thier plotts, you may see some things you like and some you dont.  Then see if you can find someone else and contrast the dogs; you may find they are exactly what you want, or dont want. 

I think a lot of people go and buy a plott pup or dog, not knowing exactly what they are getting themselves into.  Maybe the dog works or maybe it doesnt, but the person figures out that the dog isnt what he wanted.  That person has just wasted a lot of time and energy in a type of dog not suited for them.  A person can not buy a plott pup at 6 weeks old and expect it to be just like every other plott they read about.

My own recommendation is if someone really wants a single plott dog for a specific purpose, find the one they want and buy it in the woods.  It may take a pocket full of 100s to buy it though.
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:13:54 am »

I have a plott that will only open up if he SEES the pigs butt. And he'll have him stopped and bayed up pretty quickly (usually) after that. But I'd call him mostly closed mouthed.
BBBB hoggers
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:23 pm »

That's good to know. Thanks guys
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:18:20 am »

I will say I think that finding another plott like that would be very difficult because he is the only one I've actually heard of
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: