April 24, 2024, 11:24:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member -- My Dog and Hello  (Read 1464 times)
pblenis
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:01:54 pm »

Hello.  I just wanted to say hello to the ETHD site.  I just got registered.  I have been lurking for months reading all the great information on the site.

I have never hunted hogs before much less with dogs, but after hearing about it (about a year ago), watching videos online, and reading on sites like this one, I came to the conclusion this was something I wanted to do. 

I made a decision to purchase a Dogo Argentino a couple years back before I even knew about the prevalence of hunting with dogs the U.S, especially in TX where I live.  I fell in love with the breeds ability, I feel, to be a great family dog, ie large, laid back when needed, but energetic when it's time to be, but also intimidating enough that the unknowing 'creeps' will stay away from my house and kids.  However, I never pulled the trigger and got one.  Then I learned about hog hunting and the use of dogs.  Realized Dogo's were bred for this and actively did so in America.  It seemed right to get a dog and start learning/getting into the sport/activity.

I'm currently in the process of looking for help training my pup (6 month old Dogo male, pics below). I found a couple websites that offer training for pups that are also located in TX.   I would love to do it myself I just don't own enough property to build a pen. I'll probably never be able to have more than 3 dogs on the property I own, but I do hope to eventually establish a small pack of 3 RCD dogos, but for now I just have the 1 dogo.  I am also looking to establish some connections, on this site and hopefully others, with other hunters so I might develop a group of hunting partners.

So again I just wanted to say hello. I also wanted to know from those on this site,  what is the best method for a new hunter to "get into" this activity. 

Here are two pics of my pup.  6 months as of Sept 23rd.  About 60lbs.  No training yet, hoping he's not a dud, he does go for the ears of my other house dog when they are playing.  I got him from someone who hunts his dogos in Florida who I believe got the sire and bitch from hunters in California (California Catchers).  Ready to get going now that his K9's should be most of the way set.

Txhogman22
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:50:15 pm »

Welcome, and nice looking dogs
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 04:28:31 pm »

Do to remember the name of the man in Florida? My family & I live in fl & we run dogos as well. Welcome to the site & good luck getting started.
pblenis
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 04:39:17 pm »

Do to remember the name of the man in Florida? My family & I live in fl & we run dogos as well. Welcome to the site & good luck getting started.
They are located in/around Tampa I believe.  I won't give their name but they have a website.  http://www.swamp-mountain.com/

The owners are very nice people.  They were very considerate and responsible when it came to getting my pup.  Didn't charge an arm or a leg either (non registered, which who cares these are hunting dogs).

KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 05:22:09 pm »

Welcome.... And Where you located?

"Let's talk some philosophy"
pblenis
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 05:52:23 pm »

Welcome.... And Where you located?

Oh yeah forgot to mention.  I live in Hutto, TX.  Just slightly Northeast of Austin.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 05:56:14 pm »

Welcome in!

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 07:16:46 pm »

They are located in/around Tampa I believe.  I won't give their name but they have a website.  http://www.swamp-mountain.com/

The owners are very nice people.  They were very considerate and responsible when it came to getting my pup.  Didn't charge an arm or a leg either (non registered, which who cares these are hunting dogs).

Is the sire of that litter named dagger?
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:31:22 pm »

Good lookin pup. The easiest way to get started is see if u can find some folks that run in ur area and get to know them. Ask around work and family u will be suprised at the number of folks around u . I would wait till the dog gets bigger (year old) before putting him on a pig any bigger than him. As long as it's smaller than him it should be fine to start him. If u can't find anyone to join buy a small pig and start in ur yard with the pig hobled. Keep working up from that until u can do mock hunts and the hit public land with a tracking collar on the dog and give it a whirl.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
colecross
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 09:20:09 pm »

Welcome aboard can learn some good stuff here,and meet some of the best folks in the sport.
colecross
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 09:44:45 pm »

Nice looking pup! Ive never had any dealing with a dogo till last yr,got a pup at 6 weeks,he has been hard headed,he is 14 m.now,and wen he is on the ground he finds bays some times 3 barks and then catches he dosent get tired
SaltyhoggerJr
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:42 pm »

Welcome! Nice lookin dog. I've only hunted behind 1 dogo in total and he was pretty cool to watch. Hope yours turns out!
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 02:35:09 am »

Welcome .. Hope your dogo make's a catching machine!! 
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 02:02:44 pm »

Nice looking pup, hope he works out for ya.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: