April 18, 2024, 02:06:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Range Rough Dogs  (Read 2077 times)
MakeEmSqueal863
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 10:31:25 am »

I dont believe thier is any way to make a dog have shorter range, that is my answer to your question.

Range can be a difficult thing to breed for and I say that becuase a dog that was bred for short range can learn range thus throwing out some of the breeding traits.  I think having the right amount of grit is the hardest thing to get right and maintain over a period of time.  I beleive most dogs have too much or way to little grit.  I hunt plotts and most people that I know prefer there plotts to be rougher than what I run.  I dont want mine to be real rough for the same reason you posted.  I dont want dogs with caught hogs being 1 mile away and it taking an hour to get there; I want them to bay thier buts off until I get there.  Does it happens sometimes yes.  I choose to have dogs with medium grit, long range and a lot of stick.  I try to have dogs that are fast and I pair my dogs up based on speed so that I dont get slower dogs slung out

It sounds to me and I would recommend that you hunt the dogs the way you have been hunting them and try to enjoy them for what they are.  Are they going to get killed on a hog, nobody knows and nobody wants that, but it happens.  Try to get some pups that are like what you want and enjoy the dogs for what they are.  If your catching good rank hogs than you are doing something right.  Maybe you could consider a bay type vest that would help reduce injury.

Heck, I chased little pigs around a dang thicket halg the day yesterday and ended up with one lil pig.  That sucks!  anyway, long answer to such a short question.
Thanks for the response helped a lot
MakeEmSqueal863
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:20 am »

Thanks for response helped a lot!
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 08:30:38 pm »

I might would only hunt two at a time and that way you would always have a dog for tomorrow. It sucks to get everything whacked at one time and you would have at least one dog to train another dog with instead of having to start completely over. Just a thought
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 08:40:43 pm »

Sounds like you have some good ones. What are they curs? My first thought was the same as halfbreeds just stay as close as you can to them but if you are walk hunting that might prove near impossible so I guess that leaves you with the option of putting good vests on them and just staying as close as possible and like hoghunter said just enjoy them, which it sounds like you are. good luck with them.
MakeEmSqueal863
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 06:35:28 am »

@Bo Pugh That's a good idea might start doing that, @TheRednose yes all yella cur dogs from cow dog bloodlines from S. Florida. Wouldn't trade the bloodline for nothing, actually planning on breeding two of them this January if anyone is interested?
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 09:10:28 am »

Get a horse.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 12:29:57 pm »

Man all I'll say on that is, if a dog wants to catch. He will probably always catch. I've heard of people doing it in the bay pen, being able to call a dog off of an ear. But as far as out in the woods, it's totally within their nature and if they have that ingrained in their genetics then they are probably always going to do that. I'd try vesting em and hunting off of mules or horses to try keeping up with them to extend their lives.
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 07:11:19 pm »

I know this don't help but if the dogs hunt out a good piece u just have to be able to move faster to stay within range. My dogs are a mix of real rough and straight catch. If they get much over 400 I start easing up. I try to stay 4 or 500 yards. That gets tricky at times but I do my best. My dogs don't wait on me to catch. They catch at first opertunity. I won't run my RCD without a vest and the rest without cut collar and GPS on all. I road my dogs and hunt off a wheeler. This gives me the speed to get there. I will ride as close as I can until I have to get off. It's all about speed.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 07:54:39 pm »

@Bo Pugh That's a good idea might start doing that, @TheRednose yes all yella cur dogs from cow dog bloodlines from S. Florida. Wouldn't trade the bloodline for nothing, actually planning on breeding two of them this January if anyone is interested?

So they are Fla curs then, well that explains why they are so rough. I really like florida curs, do you have any pics of them?
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:36 am »

Sounds like you have some good dogs for catching hogs. I hunt the same type dog. They range 300-500yds, but when they pullout farther it's time to start jogging in their direction because your about to see treed on the Garmin. I run them usually one at a time because they learn what they can handle without getting killed most of the time. Two together they will catch everything. Good luck with them and if they do not fit you any more I will buy them!! Cool
MakeEmSqueal863
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 08:12:29 am »

It won't let me upload pics for some reason, but I wouldn't sell them! Lol.  If anyone on here hunts around central FL let me know and we'll go catch a couple
hillcountry
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 11:17:02 pm »

The only thing i can say is you better be starting some pups . I had a litter just like them they were bad to the bone, lost em a few at atime the last 3 went  at the same time kilt him but he put me out of the dog trade in about 5 minutes and i did not have any replacements comeing up.

If your scared you can ride in my pocket.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: