April 25, 2024, 09:55:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Tick  (Read 857 times)
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:20:53 pm »

This question may have an answer that is the typical "depends on the dog/line" but I'll give it a shot.

I've got my young Blue Tick started now. He runs with the older dogs pretty fair, keeps his nose on the ground or in the air and goes to the bay regular now. I'm pretty sure over time he will start striking his own....hopefully taking older tracks or just taking tracks farther than Jasper does.

Now to my questions,
One is about track speed. Does a Bluetick run a track at a slower rate than say...running walker? A plott? Just depend on the dog/line?

Also...I know most Blueticks are fairly stocky....built more like a cur. Mine is...and I expect he'll be around 65-75 lbs by the time he's 2 years old. I've heard Bluticks tend to show a little more gritt than your standard Walker. Again...is that just an individual dog/line thing?

"Let's talk some philosophy"
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »

You could get all kinds of answers to this, depends who and where you ask.  If you asked this question on an all plott or walker forum or an all blue tick forum, the answers would be very contrasting.  From my my eperience, the plotts are the grttiest of the hounds but the blue ticks are a close second.  I know a lot of the English hounds are rough too.  I would also agree that the walkers and the plotts are faster than the blue ticks.  My experience is very limited when it comes to the Blue ticks.  You may find a site like the UKC site and ask the same question; many more houndsman on that site.
DWEST
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:55:00 pm »

Blueticks built like curs???

I'd like to see some built like that, all I've seen have the hound build

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:26:00 pm »

Blueticks built like curs???

I'd like to see some built like that, all I've seen have the hound build

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
x2..... And as far as their reputation goes yes they SUPPOSEDLY are slower on a track. I've coon hunted with a few and they did fine. And hog hunted with some crosses I liked.  I've noT hunted behind enough blueticks enough to answer your question but I've talked to alot of coon hunters and the reputation the blue dogs have is slower. But people still use them so I don't see why there can't be good ones out there! If you like him don't worry about it hope he turns out!

Seth Gillespie
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:41:47 pm »

I competition coon hunted for years. I ran treeing walkers. For the most part they were faster than blueticks. But on one hunt i drawed out with a bluetick male tha was the fasted I have ever seen as far as treeing coons go. I will say he was the best coon dog I had seen. Dont' know if he could do it every night but he done it that night.
Will say this they are not faster than a running walker for sure.

Lets go we burning daylight
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »

Depends on the dog , there's fast blue ticks an slow ones just like cur dogs

Come run him with my red tick on something other than them mountains out west an see what he does
My hound is fairly fast , some cur dogs will out run him some wont
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 08:12:24 pm »

Depends on the dog , there's fast blue ticks an slow ones just like cur dogs

Come run him with my red tick on something other than them mountains out west an see what he does
My hound is fairly fast , some cur dogs will out run him some wont

He's only a year old and really just started up about a month ago. He stays busy but He's not striking yet. If I had to bet on it right now I'd probably lean towards him being on the slow side. I guess I'll just have to wait a while and see how he turns out.

I'm up for another run sometime....give me a Hollar.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 05:52:22 am »

That dog is way to young to even be trying to guess at this point how he's gonna turn out. And yes.......I have experience with hounds. Give him another year or two running with GOOD DOGS and you'll see what he's got.
NChoghunter
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 08:55:21 am »

Put him out with the strike dog if hes got it in him he will pick up on it...All i run is hounds treeing walkers an plotts some of my cold nose walker hounds move a track slow until they get it warmed up then some of my cold nose plotts will move it awhole lot faster it just all depends on the dog on how fast they are
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: