April 16, 2024, 08:58:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: idk what to do  (Read 881 times)
Boss Hoggin Outlaw
Strike Dog

335 lb. barr hog

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 02:13:19 am »

i have 2 gyps, both under 2 years, no relation once so ever. Started hunting them about 5 months ago and they are in the making of being sho nuff jam up dogs. The first time i ever took them out they bayed and caught hogs and had never even seen a hog, just came natural i guess. So what my problem is, theyre starting to now roll out. Close to a mile every time i go hunting. and they are baying hogs just about everytime. The problem is, when i start getting within catchdog range the hog(s) break and they either dont follow in or they follow for a short distance and quit. So why the hell would they go thru all the trouble to find these hogs at a mile and then quit em when i show up with the catchdogs? Hopefully its just cuz theyre puppies and theyll grow out of it but idk.

He who kneels before God can stand before any man.
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:00 am »

Sounds like there's still some puppy in them.. what breed?  bottom takes time an lots of hunting!
Boss Hoggin Outlaw
Strike Dog

335 lb. barr hog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:13 am »

one is a yella brindle cur and the other is a red brindle with some ridgeback I believe

SnF bucking bulls
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:07:40 am »

i raised a gyp that would sometimes go a 1/2 a mile to a mile. sit down and bay. but if I didn't get to her in no more than 5 mins she would quit and just come back. or if the hog broke she would do the same as yours are doing. she would only do that when she was alone. used to burn me up but idk guess she just grew out of it. maybe with time and age it will stop. jmo
Boss Hoggin Outlaw
Strike Dog

335 lb. barr hog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:45:08 am »

yeah thats what mine are doing. and hell the other day one was bayed on a group of 15 or so and the other one was 200 yards away doing nothing, then the bitch come runnin up to me. it chapped my ass

Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:12:36 am »

Are these dogs that are quitting on the hog are they getting burned alot an your having dry runs with out finishing the hogs? 
Boss Hoggin Outlaw
Strike Dog

335 lb. barr hog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:22:40 am »

im not trying to sound arrogant, but the last 10-15 times ive taken them huntin they have struck everytime. but striking a hog and catching them are 2 extremely different terms lol. but i would say out of the 15 ive caught probably half maybe a few more

YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 07:57:51 am »

Sounds like your doin better than half the folks on here.  Grin

Both sound like keepers. But add a dog with bottom to your pack that will teach them to stay in the fight.

They should eventually figure it out after witnessing sticking with one for awhile.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 08:13:32 am »

Sounds like your doin better than half the folks on here.  Grin

Both sound like keepers. But add a dog with bottom to your pack that will teach them to stay in the fight.

They should eventually figure it out after witnessing sticking with one for awhile.

X2

"Let's talk some philosophy"
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:53:03 am »

That's when you throw another dog in on the race! Do you turn out the catch dogs when you get near them? let them  work it out. and they will!!!

"You don't need more dogs, just better one's.!!!" --- my Dad lol

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when your stupid!!!." The John Wayne

"Be good, or be good at it!!!"
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:58:30 am »

That does sound frustrating, but I think you keep doing what you are doing.  Maybe in their young minds they believe that finding, baying, or chasing a hog is fun and they look at it as a game.  Give them some more time to mature and once they learn that keeping a hog bayed is their job and it becomes who they are, then you will have the dogs you want.  The more I do this the more patient I get with some things and the less patient I get with other things.  What you described is one of the things I am more patient with.
Boss Hoggin Outlaw
Strike Dog

335 lb. barr hog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 04:09:22 am »

well i appreciate it guys. And yeah, addin another dog sounds like what im gonna have to do, i just prefer to run as few a dogs as i have to

Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 06:00:04 am »

Just keep one bay dog on a lead an cut him in on the race before your other dogs cut out of the race this will give your other dogs the confidences to finish a longer race..  before no time you will have some race u wish they would quit ..lol good luck with your dogs...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: