April 19, 2024, 01:57:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kennel cough?  (Read 485 times)
jfork
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 06:39:09 pm »

Hey guys, what appears to be kennel cough is going around the dogs with the group of friends I hunt with.  My dogs started coughing the middle of last week but have progressively gotten better without medication and seem just about over it.

Except today when I came home my best hound didn't eat.  He seemed to be the last one to get the cough.   I was able to hand feed him a can of tuna tonight.  He also has a running nose.  Other than that he did run around the yard some and didn't seem too down.  From everything I read online the say it could take a couple weeks to get over the cough but not much about lose of appetite. 

I'm just looking for advice?  Should I see if his appetite comes back in a day or so?  Or see a vet ASAP? 
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:09:10 pm »

A day or 2 off feed ain't that big a deal... think everyone has had it happen a time or two. If it's an older dog... Shouldn't be an issue. If they start getting lethargic and stop drinking...that's a different story.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »

Vet told us to give our dogs robittusin cough medicine. And no I'm not joking. All of our dogs were cleared up. He originally said it might go away on its own but it did not so we got the medicine from Publix & it worked great
Big Joe
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:42 pm »

@dodgegirl how much robittusin did you give em?
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:31:58 pm »

USE THE CHILDRENS COUGH MEDICINES !! they usually have a weight chart on them I gave about as much as a 3 year old child would dose  . same with asparin use children's asparin when needed  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 05:04:08 am »

Doxycycline
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: