April 20, 2024, 01:41:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: more bottom, more hunt  (Read 697 times)
KKNOTT
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:34:26 am »

I have been into hog dogging for bout a year and a half. I have a 17 month old dog that started out great, he found and bayed his first hog when he was 8 months old with finished dogs on the ground. he has found prolly bout ten since then. He is rough and catches with bulldog on ear everytime and is started to try an catch by his self. He is silent until he gets prolly 50 yrds from hog. The trouble im having is he only hunts out most of time 100-150 yrds he does go out further sometimes. he acts like he is waiting on me. problem is that I want him to go by himself. I would like him to have more bottom or stay after it longer. Its common for him to take one a mile or little more, maybe 20 minutes then come back. any tips would be great that I could do to try in help him. maybe he just needs to mature, I just get agrevated cause he has the potential if he just wanted to. he is 1/2 walker 3/8 bird 1/8 bull

KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:15:12 am »

Just young I think... More time and experience.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
HogHunter1989
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:13:39 pm »

I think either they have bottom and hunt or they don't its not something u can make them do time will tell he is still young

Catch an cut
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:07 pm »

I think either they have bottom and hunt or they don't its not something u can make them do time will tell he is still young

Agree...with age comes experience/ confidence. Get them out...put them on pigs...let their potential come out. My best is....well let's see... He'll be 2 in January. He's still learning/ evolving. He's been showing me/doing things here lately I didn't expect out of him. Keep them on track and they get better and better.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:12:38 pm »

Some dogs hunt deep in no sign and others hunt like yours. The bottom comes with experience and age.
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 01:42:06 pm »

A dog usually won't reach it's full potential until about 4-5 years old. Doesn't matter how many hogs they find they will be they're best around that age. Keep him in the woods and on hogs

Seth Gillespie
KKNOTT
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 02:19:43 pm »

its hard to keep him on hogs. they are in little pockets here in Kentucky and Indiana. we have gotten about 45 give or take a couple since this time last year. about eight were from south Carolina. we get in sign he does good. no sign and he doesn't go out very far. I feel like if he would go out better he would possibly find one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: